cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 over Layer3 connection

d.poppleton
Level 1
Level 1

Has anybody done a 'spanned' lan over a layer 3 connection (PRI terminating on two routers) so that devices on both ends are on the same LAN? I think Cisco calls it IRB, and they have examples on one router, but my need would be to have it on two routers.

I know it is bad design and it isn't my choice, just may need to make it work.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Darren

Have a look at L2TPv3 which is a good approach to extending a L2 vlan across L3 links. I have used this before and it worked fine -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html

Jon

dkeaton
Level 1
Level 1

You can use IRB and GRE tunnels. I had to do this for a company that we acquired that was using their routers to bridge traffic over frame-relay. To give them a migration path I configured layer 3 subnets across the frame-links and used GRE tunnels and bridge groups to bridge the ethernet to the GRE tunnels. It was a very ugly configuration and I wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution. If your networks have a large number of Windows computers, the NetBIOS activity severely affects the performance of your WAN link.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: