Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with WRVS4400N V1.1.03

noziwatele
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Just experiencing a problem with the WRVS4400N, which I see several others have also encountered, as posted on the Linksys support site.

Wireless LAN users become unable to connect to anything through the router, i.e. no conectivity to either LAN ports or the WAN port. The wireless LAN itself appears to be up, and I have good signal, but cannot ping or make other connections to devices on other ports.

Is there any solution to this?

Many thanks in advance!

Mike.

19 Replies 19

gavin.tobin
Level 1
Level 1

Mike,

This is a known issue and was reported to Linksys as far back as October 2007.

Essentially the root cause of the problem is that DHCP does not work for wireless clients if there are no LAN clients.

So there are 2 ways to workaround the problem.

1.     Plug a client into the LAN port.  This turns on DHCP for the wireless clients and all should be OK.

2.     Give your wireless clients fixed IP addresses in the range of the router subnet default 192.168.1.x

Hope this helps.

GT

Thanks for your comments. Per the Product Manager, new firmware which resolves this issue is coming very soon. Check the Software Center (http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=282414016)  in a couple of weeks or contact me directly (streaves at cisco dot com) for more information.

Thank you!

chchapma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A new firmware version for the WRVS4400N v1.0 and v1.1 has been posted on Cisco.com here:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Model.x?mdfid=282446893&mdfLevel=Model&treeName=Routers&modelName=Cisco%20WRVS4400N%20Wireless-N%20Gigabit%20Security%20Router%20-%20VPN%20V1.0%20%26%20V1.1&treeMdfId=268437899

Release Notes are handy to have....attched...

I've tried the new 1.1.13 firmware on my router, but have downgraded to my previous firmware. With 1.1.13 I get a DNS error when visiting something like www.mozilla.com in my browser. Doing a lookup returns an IP, so it seems like something in the router is filtering the web content in a way it shouldn't.

Hi,

I've also upgraded using this new firmware, but the WLAN problem still occurs!

Please let me know if there is any diagnostic information that I can supply to help resolve this problem.

Cheers,

Mike.

Hello all,

I have made the update to firmware 1.1.13 and now I do have serious problems with my WLAN-Clients.

Simple things like DNS-Resolving is not working anymore :(

The firewall was temporary disabled but still no resolving form my WLAN-Clients. From LAN Clients I did not have these problemes.

I think I have to downgrade the firmware again but I am not sure if downgrade is supported or not.

Is there a timeframe, when the next firmware will be released?

Can I simply flash to the old firmware again?

I know my VPN-Clients will not work with firmware 1.1.03 but I only have the choice between two problems!

Hopfully there will be a solution soon.

Cheers,

MadX

In order for  the new firmware to take full effect on the new features and the bug fixes ,you need  to do a complete reset by holding in the reset button on the back of the router for 10-15 seconds, or  by using the Restore Factory default settings button within the Administration  section of the WebGUI.  This new firmware does fix a lot of issues and one off them is the DHCP  over WLAN issue. Please see release note for full  details.

Thanks for your response ntarazi.

I have done the reset to factory defaults after updateing to 1.1.13 over the management frontend.

Sadly the problem is still there :(

cheers,

MadX

In that case the issue  maybe related to other configuration or the WiFi Client. I would recommend that  you update your WiFi Client driver and if that still does not solve the issue, I  would recommend calling our the  Small Business Support Center for  additional help

Thanks for your response ntarazi.

I have done some more testing. It is working fine when I disable the IPS-Feature.My WLAN-Clients can connect without any limitations to the internet so far.

That leaves me a little bit confused.

I thought IPS will protect my internal network from the external network.

Is WLAN some kind of external network in the default configuration of firmware 1.1.13?

IPS was always active with firmware 1.1.08 and IPS-definition 1.33. I tested firmware 1.1.13 with IPS-definition 1.33, 1.38 (included in fw 1.1.13) and 1.40. everytime the same problem. To disable IPS is the only way to get things working.

Ofcourse this is a lack of security for me, so I would like to have IPS up and running together with my WLAN-Clients.

Any Ideas???

Cheers,

MadX

Please contact  escalation support team to get help with troubleshooting this  issue.
If the NAT on the ADSL modem has been disabled then  there should have no problem accessing the  remote LAN.
It's very  difficult to troubleshoot an issue like this on this forum

Thanks for your Support :-)

The Small Business Support gave me the following steps to go and until now everything is working.

1.) Reset the router to factory defaults with the button on the back of the router

2.) Flash the Firmware again

3.) Reset the router to factory defaults with the button on the back of the router

4.) Test network connectivity with the defaults

5.) Test network connectivity with own networksettings

This works now since 2009-04-07.

I hope these steps may help someone with similar problems.

Cheers,

MadX

I tried to do the same as MadX, and so far so good.

The only extra thing I needed to do was to add forwarders in my BIND configuration. This wasn't neccessary with 1.1.08 or 1.1.03 for me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: