7960 can't register in CME using SIP

Unanswered Question
Feb 24th, 2009

The phone is in different subnet from the CME

I have tried different combinations of (as I don't know the exact reason for the commands)

authenticate register

authenticate realm

CME 7.0(0)

phone firmware P003-08-6-00

Thanks in advance

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Tue, 02/24/2009 - 01:50

Hi, before looking at the traces, have you considered using SCCP? That will give you more features and less troubles.

Nicholas Matthews Tue, 02/24/2009 - 07:30

Hi Steven,

The phone should be downloading a configuration file that downloads the password. You shouldn't have to configure anything in the phone, nor any of the authenticate register/realm commands.

Put the password on the phone like you have it, and 'debug tftp events' and make sure the phone is getting the correct file.

steven_chan Tue, 02/24/2009 - 18:32

I do see messages in the forum that you are suggesting SCCP for CME. I think everyone has a reason for the move and mine is "v3"

I see the phone is keep trying to get the config file SIPmacaddress.cnf and can download the file correctly. I verify it by removing the DN on the phone.

Nicholas Matthews Tue, 02/24/2009 - 19:25

Hi Steven,

If you remove all of the extra authentication commands under sip-ua and what have you, and just use the basic commands, this should register. If you're wanting to add other functionality, I would add it on slowly after getting basic things to work first.

Basic requirements:

-voice service voip

registrar server

-phone must download configuration file (Cisco phones)

-if the phone is on a different subnet than the CME source address, it must authenticate with a password

-if you have a SIP bind command, you must have the same source address in CME

-the phone should try to register, get a 401, and send another register with authentication. We should then 200 OK that REGISTER message

-the phone will need the 'type' command and 'id mac' in order to download the configuration file

Hopefully something there is helpful.

mciarfello Thu, 03/26/2009 - 12:21

I think he was referring to CCIE VOICE lab v3, which has SIP endpoints on the map.

This Discussion