cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice recording

moropodi2008
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have CCM6.1 and what i want to do is to record calls of our call center agents, currently i'm spanning the ports but i want to change and use sniffing. i want the phones to send the calls directly to the voice recording server, can this be done because my current system is not reliable. thank you in advance.

13 Replies 13

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can evaluate upgrading to CM 7 that has integrated call recording feature.

Can yo explain "integrated call recording feature" does it have voice recording ?. We have been testing Nice perfoma? with SIP trunking and Built in Bridge at CUCM 6.0 and 6.1.2 - all working. The BIB sends the RTP directly to the Nice recorder without spanning ports. The BIB sends a copy of the RTP traffic via a Route Patter, SIP trunk which is registerd to the Nice recorder

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

Just thought I would jump into this thread for a moment, to add to the great info from Paolo and IPT :)

This really is a "terminology" issue. When Cisco says that CCM 6.x/7.x supports Call Recording what this means is that it supports the "architecture" for Call Recording. This means a change in the method used to record calls that is supported on some IP Phone models.

There is now a "built-in" architecture that does not require the configuration of "Span" ports etc. as shown below. You will however note that there is still a need for the ***"Recording Server".

Pre - 6.X

Certain Cisco partners have provided customers with the ability to monitor and record using separate applications. Within Cisco, products such as Cisco Unified Contact Center Enterprise can perform call monitoring. These products deal with the Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) streams at the computer telephony integration (CTI) application layer. The observer receives RTP through a personal computer. Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) is often required to monitor and record calls.

The drawbacks of this approach include:

•SPAN is difficult to configure.

•Site-specific equipment is often required.

•Monitoring applications have limited scalability.

•Supervisors must listen to monitored and recorded calls through their computer.

•No provision for call admission control (CAC) or region-based codec negotiation

6.x/7.x

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Silent Monitoring Feature

Using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(1), the silent monitoring capability:

•Allows supervisors to monitor agents through a Cisco Unified IP phone.

•Allows monitored calls to be managed like normal calls (for example, these calls can be transferred, held, or added to a conference).

•Does not require SPAN.

•Is network topology-friendly.

•Plays through a phone, not a personal computer.

•Supports CAC, bandwidth reservation, and codec negotiation.

•Provides notification tones when legal compliance is required.

The Unified Communications Manager silent monitoring and recording feature is invoked through CTI using Java Telephony Application Programming Interface (JTAPI) or TAPI instead of the previous method of using SPAN ports.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Recording Feature

Using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(1) there are two recording modes available:

•Automatic recording- All calls are recorded on line appearance; recording is invoked by Unified Communications Manager.

•Selective recording-The supervisor and/or recording server can elect to record temporarily based on business rules and events.

When a recording session is invoked automatically or selectively, Unified Communications Manager delivers the unadulterated speech (two RTP streams) to the recording server through a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunk established between the Unified Communications Manager server and ***recording server.

Call recording in Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(1) is supported by all 3rd-generation phones (Cisco Unified IP Phone 7911G, 7931G, ,7941G, 7941G-GE, 7961G, 7961G-GE, 7970G, and 7971G-GE models).

Silent Monitoring/Recording Architecture

Cisco has adopted an IP phone-based approach for silent monitoring instead of the typical SPAN approach. The agent's phone mixes the media streams of the agent-to-customer call and sends that stream to the supervisor.

Cisco has also adopted an IP phone-based approach for call recording. The agent's phone relays the two media streams of the agent-to-customer call to the recorder.

Both features rely on the phone's internal DSP resources (BIB).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/UC6.1.1/features_apps/CMmonrec.html#wp998251

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob, We are using Open Voice recording solution and i read your article its very informative. my next step is to configure the SIP trunk between my CCM and the recording server. Can i configure this trunk on my CCM only or Open Voice is there anything they need to do on their recording server also. Thanks.

Hi,

Is anyone using the CallManger 6/7 recording option for large scale deployments? Just thinking about extra resources and if it may have an impact on CUCM seeing as it is duplicate streams being generated?

Thnx

charl

Hi Rob,

I was studying this issue (call recording) and I have few questions:

1) call recording in CUCM 6.1(2) records both internal and external calls or just external? In documentation I saw that customer is calling via PSTN/WAN and I need a solution that will record both internal and external calls. Do you have any idea how I could accomplish that?

2) is it call recorded if pick up is made?

Or maybe there is some other solution for recording all calls that come to helpdesk phone? There is made a pickup group of cca 10 ppl that can answer call to that number.

Any help would be appreciated.

BR,

Jelena

Hi Rob,

I'm interresting with this call recording, without UCCx.

So how to do it, configure it? Is there any link to read?

What are the solutions which doesn't use the SPAN, but the JTAPI

Best regards,

Antra

jillmajors
Level 1
Level 1

You may want to consider implementing third party software for call recording. There are quite a few options out there, including Verint/Witness, eTalk, and Telrex (see http://www.telrex.com/cisco_call_recording.htm).

hi,

thanks for the advice (i've already considered that solution and also considering SPAN for internal calls).

But my next question is:

if I configure mobility for that phones is it possible to record also calls that are answered by mobile phone (in both scenarios: using third party software for call recording or doing SPAN for internal calls)?

thx,

Jelena

Following on from the Nice work we have been doing, a major issue/ concern is with CTI Manager. Nice and maybe other SIP trunk, BIB applications rely on the CTI Manager to provide DN status of a call so for very DN you wish to record you need a CTI connection so for a 7835 I think you have 800 Connections per CTI Manager. In CUCM you create a user- called Nice CTI User and associate the handset to this user , on the Nice server you install the TAPI SW which is down loaded from CUCM and use the NICE CTI User log details so Nice can "talk" to the CTI Manager so Nice can monitor the device via the CTI Manager . If you have a site with a large number of users, or a large number of multiple appearances then this increases the CTI connections.

For us it created an issue, say you have 800 Handsets which all EM enabled, so every handset is configured by default to be recorded as we do not want to be in a situation later if one of our users EM onto another phone which we had not set up as being recorded. So if everyone logs on we have 800 CTI connections as a user only has one DN however in reality this is not the case as many users have multiple DN`s so if only one extra DN is allocated to each user the number of CTI connections now becomes 1600 of potential connections which it needs to check the status of even if all the DN`S are idle which is above the 800 per server limit. To overcome this we increased the number of CTI Managers and increased the number of CTI Users and load balanced the handsets across the CTI Users, we then installed more TAPI SW from CUCM on to the Nice servers so again to increase the number of CTI Managers due to the 800 per Server limit.

As you can see if you have 2000 users with 500 other appearances so the total number of DN`s including multiple appearance is 2500 and so with the 7835 server limit of 800 connections you need 4 CTI Manager service running so depending on your Cluster you may need 5 servers- 1 x Pub and 4 for CCM Service with CTI Manager service

Mobile Phone- You will need to record at the GW with Nice they have something called Javlin which records across the backplane of the GW

Hi Jill,

can you tell me what kind of calls can be recorded with Telrex CallRex (i.e call transfer, call pickup, call forward, etc)?

also, can you recommend me the document about integrating Cisco call manager with Telrex CallRex?

Thx,

Jelena

Tapan Dutt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Just to add to this thread i have an informative DOC of integating NICE call recording server with call manager(in case someone finds this post in his/her search results).

HTH

tapan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: