Recomendation for SNMP MIB objects

Unanswered Question
Feb 24th, 2009
User Badges:

Who are the most usefull MIB objects,i am interested for the OIDs of the objects, during SNMP monitoring of Cisco router and why?

I have tried some programs that doesn't want you to know the specific OIDs, such as PRTG and SolarWinds Engineer ToolSet, but the problem with them is that most of their features support only SNMPv2 community strings.I am concerned about security, so I want SNMPv3 authPriv mode because the monitoring is going to be over public network, with MD5 auth and AES 128 encryption-is this realy secure btw?

So I have found Cacti that supports this SNMPv3 authPriv mode, but it requires the specific MIB OIDs of the specific MIB objects.

So my question again:

As a new & unexpirienced guy with SNMP, what MIB objects,and why those MIB objects, shoud I monitor with Cacti and where I can find their specific OID?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Joe Clarke Tue, 02/24/2009 - 10:17
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

This question never has an easy answer. It really depends on what you are interested in monitoring, what technologies/protocols are configured on your device, the device type, and the version of code it is running.

By default, MRTG monitors interface utilization on all interfaces. That's a good start. Other generally interesting attributes are CPU utilization and memory utilization. There are MRTG templates available on the Internet for such monitoring. However, the specific objects depend on the device.

Actions

This Discussion