HSRP

Unanswered Question
Feb 24th, 2009

Quick question on HSRP - 2 routers configured with HSRP with Rtr A being the active, Rtr B the standby in normal circumstances. Both ethernets are connected into a Layer 3 lan with onward connection to the customer network via a firewall. Tracking is configured on the HSRP config on Rtr A whereby if the WAN is down , priority is decremented adn the standby router takes over. There is a backup wan plugged into the Standby router. During the weekend, the standby router changed state to active and than back to standby within 5 minutes but at no time, did the wan/primary HSRP state on RTR A fail. The only reason I can think is that the Standby router missed 3 hellos from the Active and changed state but why would I not see anything on Rtr A. Does the Primary Active router not track HSRP via HELLO as per the Standby?

RTR A and RTR B are located in 2 seperat physical locations with inter-site connectivity provided by Lan Extensions.

Lans are then exteneded across the 2 buildings...

Regards

Mary

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Tue, 02/24/2009 - 05:10

When HSRP routers are connected by unreliable media (like "lan extenders"), your network can split and each router will become primary. As long the overall design is sane, and you've tested the situation, you may be able to deal with that.

In reality the correct design is that a single subnet never ever splits, strange things happens if it does.

Actions

This Discussion