Packet Tracer Subnet practice

Unanswered Question
Feb 24th, 2009

I am working on a lab entitled CCNA2HandsonFinal in packet tracer. The lab does not seem to make sense. It is asking the following:

The local LAN of the new branch office is assigned an IP network address range of: This LAN must be subnetted. Each subnet of the Internetwork needs to accommodate 32 host addresses. (Use the smallest subnet mask available that still provides for the 32 hosts per subnet.) Determine the first 10 subnets available. Use the fourth usable subnet for the LAN connected to SWA (LAN subnet). Do NOT count subnet zero as the first subnet.

The Ethernet interface connected to Boaz connecting to SWA is assigned the highest usable address within the LAN subnet.

This makes no sense given that the subnet could be divided into at most 8 subnets using a /27 but that would provide only 30 usable host addresses. I figure a /26 would be require which would result in only 4 subnets. Using the forth subnet and picking an the address of as the address for the LAN interface on the router, the lab says that is wrong. Am I missing something here?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
crow930us Mon, 03/16/2009 - 03:23

It looks like the question is worded wrong. Sloppy editing in the material.

If you already have the answer I would work backwords and determine what is worded wrong. From my past experience, if they are working with 10 subnets and the minimum number of hosts in each is 32, then the initial address range of is wrong. That should be something else.

If you already have the answer then you can see where the first subnet starts and determine what netmask should be in the question.

This Discussion