cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager 5.1 loosing topology view

jedellerby
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to save an adjusted map layout in Campus Manager using save layout. As long as LMS stays running my saved layout is preserved between logins, however if LMS restarts for any reason (net stop/start or serve reboot) then we seem to lose the layout. We don't lose the preference settings such as background color.

I've not seen anything in the docs that indicates this is the expected behaviour and given that the layout is stored in an XML file this seems like unexpected behaviour.

1) Is this normal?

2) Any ideas on how to fix it?

I've not had chance to see if the XML files still exist unaltered after a reboot as I've only just seen the posts on this.

Thanks

Jed

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you also using a background image? If so, then this may be expected due to bug CSCse24944. You should confirm that the XML files are being persisted under NMSROOT/campus/etc/users/USERNAME.

I'll take a look at the files when I'm next on site.

A background image isn't being used, I just tried a change in color under a different used to see if that was being saved between restarts and it was, but not the layout.

I'm a bit confused over the bug as it states it's closed but there's no fix or workaround. No mention of background images in the bug case either, I guess you can see more bug notes? Does this imply this might be expected behaviour?

Jed

The bug is not fixed. It's simply documented that using a background image will cause this behavior. I do not think a background color alone would cause this, but you could try using the default white, and see if the problem still occurs.

I only added a background after I found the problem, the background was used to check if it remembered preferences which it did.

However, now that I've found the XML files I've just tried another net stop/start and it seems to have preserved the topology this time! I tried copying XMLs from one use to the other and that worked fine. So, a little confusing what the issue really was here.

Possibly one difference is I got the customer to use the CS User defined groups rather than RME groups as the basis for the map, is there something that makes RME groups more dynamic?

Jed

Device groups are nothing more than lists of devices. Both CS and RME have the same effect on Campus: they both have the potential of not showing all devices since Campus may not be managing all devices. There shouldn't be any reason why one would cause map layouts not to be saved.

OK, we were speculating whether any kind of discovery process led to changes in the topology. For now this is a mystery then, if it reappears or the custoemr works out exactly how he created the issue I'll opne this up again,

Thanks

Jed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: