cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

flex links instead of stp for connecting other vendor switches ?

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

After looking into connecting cisco devices to nortel, the stp may not work, after reading up, would an alternative be to use flex links? can I load balance vlans with this? and also how does it work, does the port have to have a line protocol state of down before it reverts to the backup port ?

2 Replies 2

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Why do you think STP wont work? The only reason is that MST (IEEE standard STP) has some incomapatiblity with the PVST+, but if the Switches running RSTP then it would absolutely work fine.

Cisco has developed the way MST interact with PVST+, you can either:

1) run pre-standard MST on Nortel with PVST+ Cisco bridges and have the loadbalancing in place.

2) run standard PVST+ but this disables the loadbalancing scheme.

If you choose (Flex-Link), then its pretty straight foreward, all you have to do is to designate a port as uplink primary while deignat another uplink to be as backup. You will need to activate also preemtion On the main port. with Flex-link you cant loadbalance unfortunately cause one of the port has to be in Standby mode. Unlike STP..

HTH

Mohamed

because on the nortel, they only have one instance of stp running for all the vlans.

what is my solution to this, what would I need to do ?

cheers

Carl

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card