cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Blast voicemail

j.mccartney
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to send a voicemail system-wide without creating a distribution list manually? Do you have to be the admin or can a regular user do it if given the proper rights? Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes, sending to a Public Distribution List puts the message in the subscribers Exchange/Domino Inbox and thus you have all the benefits of MWI's and message notification so if this is a requirement Gingers suggestion is the way to go.

I don't think storage should be to much of a concern as I believe when you send a message to a distribution list in Exchange, there is only a single instance of the message.

Note that subscribers are only added to the "All Subscribers" PDL if they were added using a subscriber template that automatically adds them to the "All Subscribers" PDL. That said you could use the Cisco Unity Bulk Import (CUBI) utility to update existing subscribers and add them to a PDL in bulk, or you may wish to the use the Public Distribution LIst Builder utility found in the Tools Depot.

One other thing to consider is that if the message is sent to a PDL that includes all subscribers, they will all be notified of the message immediately and all 200 subscribers may attempt to call in to retrieve the message at once. You can address this issue by using the Public Distribution List Builder utility as well. This utility will allow you to configure the distribution list MWI notification parameters such that you can configure a 1-30 second delay between MWI notifications for messages sent to a particular PDL.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Cool. Don't forget to add the new PDL to the templates so that when new accounts are created, they are automatically added.

Oh, and the delay only delays/staggers the MWI's when a message is sent to the PDL so everyones lamp does not come on at once. The message it self is delivered immediately.

I mention this because someone could call in and hear the message and say "hey my lamp wasn't on but I had a new message".

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you should start by telling if this is Unity, CUC or CUE and version

java

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Sorry left that out, its on Unity ver 7.0(2). 200 users. Thanks for the help

Would the Broadcast Message Manager be the answer? Going to poke around it and see if it'll work.

A broadcast message may work depending on your requirements. Broadcast messages are not the same as a regular voice mail.

Broadcast messages are not stored/sent to the subscribers Exchange/Domino mailbox and therefore do not light a subscribers message waiting indicator (MWI), nor will they receive notifications (pager, SMS, SMTP) of a broadcast message.

A subscriber will only hear a broadcast message when calling in over the phone, Unified Messaging subscribers will not receive a copy of the broadcast message in their Outlook/Notes client.

Thanks for the information. That is exactly what we want for users to hear the message one time and then its gone.

Hi -

In case you are interested, broadcast messaging does not trigger message waiting. You can do this another way. With Unity and Exchange implementations, there is a distribution list created called All Subscribers - unityservername. Each time add a Unity user, the user is added to the DL's membership. Using the ViewMail for Outlook client, you can send a voice message to this DL. To restrict access to this DL, since it appears in your Exchange Global address list, you can restrict who can send to this DL by editing its properties. Using this method, MWI is triggered properly. You may have to check your outbound messaging limits on your Exchange server(s) and the message codec, i.e. a 1-minute G.711 msg is about 1/2 MEG.

Ginger

Yes, sending to a Public Distribution List puts the message in the subscribers Exchange/Domino Inbox and thus you have all the benefits of MWI's and message notification so if this is a requirement Gingers suggestion is the way to go.

I don't think storage should be to much of a concern as I believe when you send a message to a distribution list in Exchange, there is only a single instance of the message.

Note that subscribers are only added to the "All Subscribers" PDL if they were added using a subscriber template that automatically adds them to the "All Subscribers" PDL. That said you could use the Cisco Unity Bulk Import (CUBI) utility to update existing subscribers and add them to a PDL in bulk, or you may wish to the use the Public Distribution LIst Builder utility found in the Tools Depot.

One other thing to consider is that if the message is sent to a PDL that includes all subscribers, they will all be notified of the message immediately and all 200 subscribers may attempt to call in to retrieve the message at once. You can address this issue by using the Public Distribution List Builder utility as well. This utility will allow you to configure the distribution list MWI notification parameters such that you can configure a 1-30 second delay between MWI notifications for messages sent to a particular PDL.

Hope this helps.

We don't use any email notification; the only Exchange we have is the default Exchange System Manager on Unity itself. The way users were added was to a default Subscriber template so we should be good there. I created a new DL using PDLB just to be safe and made the admin for the person who wants to send out monthly meeting notices (I like the idea of the delay in sending out messages).

Thanks to all for your help, this forum is really informative and helpful.

Cool. Don't forget to add the new PDL to the templates so that when new accounts are created, they are automatically added.

Oh, and the delay only delays/staggers the MWI's when a message is sent to the PDL so everyones lamp does not come on at once. The message it self is delivered immediately.

I mention this because someone could call in and hear the message and say "hey my lamp wasn't on but I had a new message".

I tested it out on a small group of people and it works great. Thanks again.

John

Thank you for responding that may be the easiest way so far. I tried with my account (but did not send the message), it seems to be the easiest way to notify thru a broadcast.

Thank you for responding that may be the easiest way so far. I tried with my account (but did not send the message), it seems to be the easiest way to notify thru a broadcast.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: