cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automate Guest account creation?

rochoa8aeg
Level 1
Level 1

I need to create multiple users for guest wifi (+200) using the Lobby Admin account, is there a way to either create a template, csv file, or any other way to automate this and import it into the WLC as opposed to creating each account individually?

9 Replies 9

tstanik
Level 5
Level 5

For successfully implement a guest network on an existing wired or wireless network, the following critical elements are required A dedicated guest SSID/WLAN - Required within all wireless networks that require guest access.

Guest traffic segregation or path isolation - To restrict guest user traffic to distinct, independent logical traffic paths within a shared physical network infrastructure.

Access Control - To identify any user or device that logs onto the network for assignment to appropriate groups by employing an authentication process. Guest User Credential Management - To support creation of temporary credentials for a guest by an authorized user. This function may reside within an access control platform or a component of AAA or other management system.

Lucas Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

I don't really know of any way to script it, but using Microsoft Excel with your CSV files, you could quickly create users via the CLI.

1) SSH into your WLC.

2) Enter: show wlan summary

3) Find the WLAN ID of your guest WLAN

4) Type 'config' to get into config mode.

5) Prep these commands using excel, one line for each user, fill in the < > with your CSV columns.

Command:

netuser add wlan userType guest lifetime description ""

Example:

(Cisco Controller) config>netuser add Jimbo 100%Cisco wlan 2 userType guest lifetime 0 description "Jimbo's Guest Account"

Once you have all your single line commands created in Excel, CLI into your WLC and copy all of your lines of new accounts and simply paste once :) It will quickly create all of your accounts.

netuser add George 100%Cisco wlan 2 userType guest lifetime 0 description "Guest Account 1"

netuser add Henry 100%Cisco wlan 2 userType guest lifetime 0 description "Guest Account 2"

netuser add Suzy 100%Cisco wlan 2 userType guest lifetime 0 description "Guest Account 3"

It should create them all in a snap.

Good Luck,

Lucas

rcsu-it
Level 1
Level 1

At one time you used to be able to import a .csv file in the GUI. To the Cisco Team.. What ever happend to that functionality? It seems rather basic to me for say a Helpdesk staff member to be able to go in and create guest accounts for a big event like a conference without bogging down Network administrators doing account creations one account at a time, we have better things to do! Am I off base on this?

In WCS 6.0 you can import from file.

Login as a lobby ambassador user and on the second tab (advanced) click on import from file.

Upgraded WCS and WLCs to version 6 and logged in to a WLC with an account setup as LobbyAmbassador. I don't see any other tabs. I wonder if this could be a browser or anti-virus program issue. I've attached a screen cap of the main screen and the "New" screen.

You need to login the WCS with a lobby account created on the WCS itself.

The screenshots are from the WLC, thats not the one to use here.

What I think happened was that when we upgraded to a new version of 5.x a while back the password policy kicked in and stopped us from using the account on the WCS. So we just assumed, after some time passed, that it was accessed from the WLC as that account worked there. But now that you say this I do remember being able to set defaults for the user which never did show up on the WLC itself! Thanks for the refresher!

I've attached a new Doc illustrating the new screen.

I trust you are using the WCS interface for bulk guest account creation now.

thanks for rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card