Views
Helpful
Replies

GBIC's showing "inactive" on dual Supervisor 6E's

bjrogers
Level 1
Level 1

To All,

I have a customer with a C4510R-E with dual supervisor 6e's running 12.2(46)SG enterprise services. The customer's expectation was that all four GBIC ports may be utilized in various combinations (10 Gig or 1 Gig), but we have found that only port one on each supervisor is active (port 5/1 and port 6/1 currently utilizing 10 gig GBIC's), while port 5/2 and port 6/2 are inactive with GBIC's inserted.

I found the link below which does not mention the redundancy factor (dual supervisors) that I stated above, but it does say the 4510R chassis is limited (two 10 gig links or four 1 gig links).

Although we have the dual supervisor's, are we still limited by only being allowed to turn up two 10 gig links or four 1 gig links?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/44sg/configuration/guide/sw_int.html#wp1066964

Thank You

2 Replies 2

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

Did you reboot the active sup after using the following command:

hw-mod uplink mode shared-backplane

I tried the other hw-mod commands, but not the shared-backplane option. I'll try that and reboot the supervisor.

Thanks for the response.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card