cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cabling between two different routers question

crunchyhippo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a basic question or two about how to connect these two routers.

I have one 2600 router and another 3810 voice router. I have router-on-a-stick setup on the 2600 with two IP phones and a switch, and on the 3810 I have two analog and one IP phone (the 3810 does not support encapsulation, btw, and the 2600 has neither voice ports nor a DSP).

So at this point I'm learning how much I don't know/should know. To connect these two routers together in order to have the phones be able to talk with one another, do I use: (a)serial cable, (b)T1 crossover, or (c)regular ethernet crossover?

I only did similar labs in the classroom, where the required cables were just handed to us (my mistake - I should have figured it out myelf).

So could someone advise me on which kind of cable I should be using and why? Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jeffrey,

if you are doing Voice over IP every way that allows to connect the two routers is good:

you need to configure dial-peers of different types (POTS towards the analog phones over FXO) and IPv4

so you can connect them via a back to back serial cable (you need sync serial on the two routers)

via a cross-connect eth

or via a T1 cross-over if you have T1 ports free that you configure for data services

You need an IP link with a common IP subnet.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card