cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cabling between two different routers question

crunchyhippo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a basic question or two about how to connect these two routers.

I have one 2600 router and another 3810 voice router. I have router-on-a-stick setup on the 2600 with two IP phones and a switch, and on the 3810 I have two analog and one IP phone (the 3810 does not support encapsulation, btw, and the 2600 has neither voice ports nor a DSP).

So at this point I'm learning how much I don't know/should know. To connect these two routers together in order to have the phones be able to talk with one another, do I use: (a)serial cable, (b)T1 crossover, or (c)regular ethernet crossover?

I only did similar labs in the classroom, where the required cables were just handed to us (my mistake - I should have figured it out myelf).

So could someone advise me on which kind of cable I should be using and why? Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jeffrey,

if you are doing Voice over IP every way that allows to connect the two routers is good:

you need to configure dial-peers of different types (POTS towards the analog phones over FXO) and IPv4

so you can connect them via a back to back serial cable (you need sync serial on the two routers)

via a cross-connect eth

or via a T1 cross-over if you have T1 ports free that you configure for data services

You need an IP link with a common IP subnet.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card