Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I upload an IOS from computer??

Ok, here is a dumb question....

I am used to using a TFTP server to upload files to my switches... However, for this particular switch for testing purposes, HOW CAN I UPLOAD A IOS FROM THE CONSOLE COMPUTER ITS CONNECTED TO??

Any help would be appreciated!!!

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

From the console you would have to use the xmodem method . Easier and faster method would be to give your pc an address in the space of the mgt. ip of the switch and make sure you have a tftpserver app running on your pc and then just do a normal copy tftp flash or bootflash command . Free tftpserver apps are available from places like solarwinds and another is tftpd32 .

Thank you!...let me try it real quick....

BTW: Console serial uploads are much, much slower than typical LAN loads. Many Cisco devices support higher bps than the common 9600 default and file transfer protocols faster than basic Xmodem. Using one or both can very much increase the speed of a console upload (although still slow compared to typical LAN loads).

Here is what i did....

I had two catalyst 3750 switches....

I connected their stackwise cables together and provisioned the second switch.

Ofcourse the software version didnt match..

I just ran the config- Archive copy-sw /destination-system 2 /overwrite /force-reload 1

it took the IOS from switch one, and copied it to switch two and reloaded only the second switch...

IT WORKS!...

THanks for your help!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have a look at this and see if this will be helpful to you.

Step-by-Step Software Upgrade Procedure using TFTP for 3550 Series Switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_example09186a0080169623.shtml#configure2

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card