real-time monitoring of network activity

Unanswered Question
Feb 25th, 2009
User Badges:

cisco 2651XM router fitted with:

WIC1-adsl, NM-16ESW switch, on adsl broadband

as of late I'm getting slow broadband and I've reported this to my ISP who is currently looking into it. But it occurrs to me I don't really know what is happening on my adsl line. so I was wondering if anyone knows of software that will give me a graphical representation in real time of what is happening on my broadband line.

Note: I already use a great little program on my PC called Net Medic and this shows me real-time network activity but it's naturally confined to network activity on just the PC. I have several networked PC's and an ip phone so I want to see what is happening on my broadband line as a whole.

Thanks for any pointers.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
tonyspcrepairs Wed, 02/25/2009 - 09:58
User Badges:

thanks for your response andrew. I checked out both links but they're programs that have to be compiled rather than installed and I can't do this.

Leo Laohoo Wed, 02/25/2009 - 13:29
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

I've used Neon Software's CyberGauge. Unfortunately, Neon was bought out by Solarwinds in 2007/2008.

Alot of my colleagues have used this software for their ADSL and one managed to get the report to his ISP and they acknowledged their "mistake" (oops!) and gave him some kind of a credit.

tonyspcrepairs Wed, 02/25/2009 - 13:45
User Badges:

thanks leo, cybergauge sounds great but I couldn't download it anywhere. The only downloads I could get were for Mac and the rest of the download links went to solar winds who appeared to have buried it.

JORGE RODRIGUEZ Wed, 02/25/2009 - 14:31
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

Hi,

Graphical presentation of link may not realy give you whole a lot of information as to why the link is slow, graphical just provides for utilization stats and perhaps errors stats depending on the graphical software used just as prtg provided by previous poster.

One thing you may want to consider is to implementing in your router netflow and get a freeware netflow collector to see how is your link being utilized , you may need to watch the physical interface stats of your broadband link for errors to rule out physical issues in the link.

about netflow

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6555/ps6601/prod_white_paper0900aecd80406232.html

Regards

ohassairi Thu, 02/26/2009 - 01:59
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

i am using : Netflow analyzer from http://manageengine.adventnet.com/')">http://manageengine.adventnet.com/

free and good

to configure netflow in your router:

configure terminal

interface FastEthernet 0/1

ip route-cache flow

exit

!

ip flow-export destination 192.168.9.101 9996

ip flow-export source FastEthernet 0/1

ip flow-export version 5

ip flow-cache timeout active 1

ip flow-cache timeout inactive 15

snmp-server ifindex persist

so PRTG gives you a global idea about how much bandwidth is used and netflow let you know what kind of data is your traffic (http, dns, smtp,...) and IP source and destination

tonyspcrepairs Thu, 02/26/2009 - 04:35
User Badges:

hi and thanks for this tip ohassairi. I've installed netflow analyser. I'm a bit confused though about how I should configure it on my router, because my outside interface is the adsl module, and this is represented twice in the CLI - ATM0/0 and Dialer0. Which one should I configure?

ohassairi Thu, 02/26/2009 - 06:02
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

you can configure the netflow for lan interface.

in most cases traffic going through the lan interface is going or coming from/to internet

tonyspcrepairs Thu, 02/26/2009 - 08:25
User Badges:

I configured it on three interfaces - ATM0/0, Dialer0 and Vlan172. The only one to show up in Netflow though is the Vlan172 which is the 16 port switch. On my router F0/0 and F0/1 are both shut down, I don't use them.

Leo Laohoo Tue, 03/03/2009 - 14:43
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Tony,

Solarwinds have re-packed Cybergauge into the Engineer's Toolset.

Actions

This Discussion