Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3560E best configuration for ring topology

emmanuelrr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I need to use a bunch of Catalyst 3560E to set up a network with a double ring topology to add maximum redundancy. The network will trasfer VLAN tagged packets.

I don't think the load will be high, and we need very fast recovery in case of a broken link.

I was thinking about the best technology to use. I know how to configure a rapid spanning tree with path costs or a dynamic RIPv2 system.

What do you think is the best? Have you any other protocol to suggest?

Thanks

--

E.Richiardone

http://www.richiardone.eu

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Emmanuel,

Rapid STP 802.1W that can be enabled using Rapid PVST or MST 802.1s is much faster then RIPv2.

However, the size in terms of number of devices can require to increase the lifetime of STP messages (max-age) to avoid that in case of failure the network can become partitioned for this reason.

To be noted RIPv2 has also a limitation of only 15 useful next-hops so a L3 solution if the number of devices is great should use a different routing protocol like EIGRP or OSPF, using fast hello timers or BFD.

However, you can carry Vlan tagged frames over a L2 network.

There are methods to carry Vlan tagged traffic over an IPv4 methods but they are not available on C3560E (L2tpv3 for example)

You may be interested in 802.1 Q in Q

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you

I have a maximum hop count of 7, so I think it's the best choice Rapid Per-VLAN STP.

I will be using a fifteenth of VIDs instead of use inner-VLAN, I don't like that very much.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card