Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Power up Radio Interface on 1252 AP

Derek McCormick
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a Cisco 1252AP which is being powered by a POE port on a 3560 switch. It it is using 13w on a 15.4 port. When I try to enable the radio interface (2.4GHZ), i get a message saying that there is not enough power. I disbale the 5GHZ radio interface and still get the same issue. Has anyone seen this problem before? Is there a way around it?

Thanks,

Derek

4 Replies 4

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

I havent had this problem before, but it sounds as though your switch's power budget has been exceeded. How many PoE devices do you have connected to the switch?

Have you reviewed the power specs of the switch?

Any messeges in syslog?

Victor

only one device.. i think it must be something to do with the 802.11N standard..

Syslog says not enough power, even though its only using 13W

The Cisco 1250 requires nearly 18W for full operation. However, it should run fine on a 15.4W port as long as only one radio is enabled. The fact that it's using 13W is a bit of a mystery - it makes it sound like the port is unable to provide any more power on that port. Older Cisco switches have this problem, but the 3560 shouldn't.

Check your power settings, and try a different switch. Just know that the 1250 with a single radio enabled should work fine on a 15.4W port.

Also, if you haven't yet done so, disable one of the radios and reboot the AP. If it booted in low-power mode, you can't bring it out of it without rebooting it.

mbzowski
Level 1
Level 1

It will not work on this switch with radio disabled in software. You have to actually physically pull out one of the radios in order for one radio to work. Try it. You need at least 16.8w to run the AP with both radios which is available on E level switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card