cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring VSS on 6509 with 10g hardware

gkinney
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at configuring VSS with 2 of our core 6509 switches. I did review documentation online and it looks like you can 10G Module to setup vss. If possible please assist with the optimal configuration with hardware and software listed.

Thanks,

Garry

supervisor module:Supervisor Engine 720 WS-SUP720-3B

10GB Module: WS-XS 6708 - 10GE

bootflash:bootdisk:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH1.bin

8 Replies 8

mikegrous
Level 3
Level 3

VSS Is new technology. I reccomend you read as much about it as you can if you plan to impliment it. Hopefully this link helps you out.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html')">http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html

Thanks for your response Mike. I've been looking at the hardware requirements and the supervisor modules that I currently have installed does not support VSS however it does mention that if you use a 10GE module it provides the capability to configure VSS.

Thanks,

Garry

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Besides 10 gig you also need the newer supervisors. Sup720B doesn't support VSS, I believe.

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

For VSS you will need to have either the VS-S720-10G-3C or VS-S720-10G-3CXL supervisor. Your current SUP720 is not capable of running VSS. Please see the following link for more info on the VSS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/product_data_sheet0900aecd806ed759.html

HTH,

Mark

Thanks for your response Mark... Since VSS is not available what other way of setting up redundancy would you recommend. .HSRP??

VSS will make 2-6509's look like 1 6509. similar to stackable switches. There is no need for HSRP. STP configuration is also much easier. You need to make sure you have code that runs VSS. You need sup720. And you need to etherchannel the 2 6509's together via 10GB links. Perferrably 2 differnt cards for redundancy. VSS lso only supports 67XX model line cards. Your 65XX cards will not work.

Hello Garry,

HSRP or better GLBP can be good choices and can be deployed in different Vlans.

This can provide L3 redundancy.

Note about VSS:

your current supervisors (sup720 3B) doesn't support VSS.

A specialized hardware is needed because the VSS is an export of chassis backplane over 10GE links.

The target of VSS is to allow to a single supervisor to handle all the linecards on both chassis with the other in standby.

So it is not enough to have 10GE linecards on the chassis to be able to support VSS.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Yes HSRP or GLBP would be the next best thing. Also if you are running redundant supervisors make sure they are running in SSO mode instead of RPR.

HTH,

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card