Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI not working on new server

mike083108
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I have unity 7.02 running with several exchange servers. The partner server is running 2k7 exchange with 2k3 OS. The other three servers are running 2k7 exchange with 2k8 os. All users and accounts are working as expected. We recently built a new mail store with 2k7 exchange and 2k8 OS. I ran permissions wizard to add it. However, when I move an account over everything works except for the MWI light. I get the email message and everything.

Any ideas on why unity is not turning the MWI light on?

10 Replies 10

culittle
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is Exchange clustered?

There was an issue with version 5, that may still exist in version 7. Take a look at the Registry for the following.

Customers experiencing issues with MWIs not functioning with Exchange 2007 cluster shall need to create the registry key registry key found here to change the way Cisco Unity retrieves the mailstore name:

[HKLM\Software\Active Voice\ExchangeMonitor]

Registry Key Name: UseProfileServerNameForMDB

Registry Key Type: DWORD

Registry Key Default Value: 0 (Disable new functionality.)

Other Settings:

1 UseProfileServerNameForMDB (Enable new functionality)

Defect: CSCsu80743

Exchange is not clustered. WOuld this be valid if it were not clustered?

If you are running Exchange 2007 on a server with Win2k8 then there is a Microsoft bug that causes an issue with MAPI notifications. For Unity, this causes significant or failed MWI consistently. First thing you should do is verify if you have Windows SP1 Rollup 4 applied - if not, install it. The bug is fixed in that release. Then let's work from there...

FYI - the patch would apply to your Exchange servers with 2k8 installed - not your Unity servers.

Thanks for the info about Rollup 4. We have already made sure this was installed.

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ok. So, to clarify the scenario - can you answer the following question for me? You said when you "move accounts over" - are you saying that you are want this new server to be your Exchange partner server or will that remain as 2003?

The partner server will remain the same. We have just brought up another exchange server (just like our other non partner servers). When I move an account to it everything works except for the MWI light.

mike083108
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give a quick update. I have confirmed that it is actually all three 2k8 servers having the MWI issue.

Here is what I have done.

Reset Mapi cache and turned on wireshark on both unity and on the mailservers. Wireshark classifies the notification the mail servers send to unity as NEWMAIL (on the unity trace). However, these packets are not classified as NEWMAIL on the exchange server side. They are classified as a UDP packet. When you find this UDP packet right click and use the "decode as" feature to decode it as NEWMAIL. Now you can line up the notifications on both sides. This NEWMAIL notification is being sent by all mailservers and received by unity. MWI works on all users.

However, after about 12 hours or so the three mailservers running OS2008 stop sending this notification and MWI's stop working. Any ideas what might be happening on the exchange side that is all of a sudden stopping this?

Hi!

Did you ever figure anything out on this? I've got a similar problem where mwi's just quit working with exchange 2007 and then somehow start working again. Not sure what's causing it yet.

thanks.