Helpful
Replies

Cisco LMS 3.01 Process Problem

CSCO11177789
Level 1
Level 1

Hello;

On LMS Portal System tab, i always see

"Processes DFMCTMStartup, DataPurge are down" message bottom of the page.

When I try to start this processes , they stop automatically a few seconds later.

Also, about one day later some services are stop themselves. When i look at the processes page, i see them under "Administrator has shut down this server" title.

I reinstall LMS but nothing is change.

I send a part of "syslog.log" file as a attechment.

Could you help ?

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is normal, and nothing to worry about. These two processes can be down in normal operation. Do not try to restart them.

What other processes are crashing? What version of DFM do you have?

I see, thank you. I send version of software and part of syslog file.

In my first message unfortunately forget the attachments.

Thanks.

The syslog.log does not help in this case. However, I do see that you're running DFM 3.0.2. this version of DFM had a bug in which it would consume all non-paged memory as well as network buffer space. this would cause other daemons (e.g. Tomcat) to crash. If you upgrade to DFM 3.0.4, this problem will go away, and it should stabilize LMS for you.

You can get DFM from Common Services > Software Center > Software Update.

But, before this installation when i update the DFM 3.0.2 to 3.0.4 , 6748 SFP module on the Cisco 6500 started to reboot. I couldnt find why doing this. Finally i stop dfm service manually then it stopped. Later i reinstall LMS and didnt update DFM service especially.

what do you suggest ?

I am unaware of any polling that DFM is doing which would cause hardware problems. Given that LMS is crashing for you now, I would suggest either doing the upgrade, then troubleshoot the crashing module, or disable the DFM components to restore LMS stability.

On Cisco 6500 , we open all snmp traps and snmp comminty is configured as a rw permission. Is this cause reboot problem ? Also the interesting thing is only SFP module reboot, not all switch or 6748 10/100/1000 module.

Thanks.

I cannot say. I don't have enough details. If I were going to troubleshoot this crash, I would need evidence of a problem. First, what is meant by "crash?" What error messages are seen on the device's console when this crash occurs (e.g. stack traces, syslogs, etc.)? If DFM is the suspect, I would need to see a sniffer trace of SNMP traffic from the DFM server to the device around the time the module crashed.

That said, this could be coincidental. I don't know of any additional polling DFM 3.0.4 does over 3.0.2 that would affect one type of port module.

I see, thank you for your help. I havent upgraded to DFM 3.0.4 ,yet. But when i stopped the processes which have a relationship with DFM, other processes dont shutdown anymore.

I understood that my problem is about DFM services.

On the other hand i have to done this upgrade sooner or later. So after all network operations have finished in the project, i'd done upgrade.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: