FE configuration "Shutdown

Answered Question
Feb 25th, 2009

Unfortunatly I am very limited in my knowledge of routers. Our network person position was terminated recently and I am handling the problems so please bear with me if my terminology is incorrect. I have a 2650 that received its configuration from a TFTP server however the FE0/0 has the following configuration: ip address, ip nat inside, shutdown duplex auto and speed auto. When I compare this to the configuration that is on the TFTP there is no "Shutdown" within it. How do I go about removing this from its running config? Can this be done remotely. The router is in Alaska and I am in New Jersey. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by adamclarkuk_2 about 7 years 7 months ago

yeah, I would add no shut to your config scripts

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
adamclarkuk_2 Wed, 02/25/2009 - 12:13

This means the the interface has been administratively shut down.

As long as you have a method of getting on the box ie telnet/ssh/console server, you can issue the following commands :-

configure terminal

interface fastethernet 0/0

no shut

But be careful, this may enable a routing protocol to start sending updates again and could cause you issues.

michaelguht Wed, 02/25/2009 - 12:19

Do you know why this is getting configured this way? I have used the same configuration on another router I have locally and it does not end up with "Shutdown" within its configuration.

BTW Thanks for the response.

adamclarkuk_2 Wed, 02/25/2009 - 12:22

The only way for that to be there if it was working before is if somebody did shut it down with the shutdown interface level command.

michaelguht Wed, 02/25/2009 - 12:34

Well I know that we have a central depot that has a procedure to prepare the routers prior to shipment. Is the port configured to be shutdown as a default from the factory?

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 02/25/2009 - 13:52

I will be visiting Alaska shortly as I have business there, if you're interested in a professional network assessment at no charge, please contact me to the address present in my profile.

michaelguht Wed, 02/25/2009 - 16:10

Thanks for the help. We do have a network person that is going to be working with us. Right now he is swamped and is not planning on meeting with us until spring.

This Discussion