cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FE configuration "Shutdown

michaelguht
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunatly I am very limited in my knowledge of routers. Our network person position was terminated recently and I am handling the problems so please bear with me if my terminology is incorrect. I have a 2650 that received its configuration from a TFTP server however the FE0/0 has the following configuration: ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0, ip nat inside, shutdown duplex auto and speed auto. When I compare this to the configuration that is on the TFTP there is no "Shutdown" within it. How do I go about removing this from its running config? Can this be done remotely. The router is in Alaska and I am in New Jersey. Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yeah, I would add no shut to your config scripts

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

This means the the interface has been administratively shut down.

As long as you have a method of getting on the box ie telnet/ssh/console server, you can issue the following commands :-

enable

configure terminal

interface fastethernet 0/0

no shut

But be careful, this may enable a routing protocol to start sending updates again and could cause you issues.

Do you know why this is getting configured this way? I have used the same configuration on another router I have locally and it does not end up with "Shutdown" within its configuration.

BTW Thanks for the response.

The only way for that to be there if it was working before is if somebody did shut it down with the shutdown interface level command.

Well I know that we have a central depot that has a procedure to prepare the routers prior to shipment. Is the port configured to be shutdown as a default from the factory?

yeah, I would add no shut to your config scripts

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I will be visiting Alaska shortly as I have business there, if you're interested in a professional network assessment at no charge, please contact me to the address present in my profile.

Thanks for the help. We do have a network person that is going to be working with us. Right now he is swamped and is not planning on meeting with us until spring.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card