Richard Burts Thu, 02/26/2009 - 20:12

Paul

I do not know for sure. But I am getting close to my 10 year anniversary. My number is 4615. From that we can interpolate that there are probably about 3500 10 year CCIEs at this point.

HTH

Rick

paul.matthews Fri, 02/27/2009 - 00:23

Hi Rick, Thanks for the response - will that number put you April/May?

I am 4063 - My anniversary was September last year.

I know there will be somewhere in that region who passed the LAB, but over the years I suspect quite a few will have let it lapse or struggled with the recert. I was more wondering how many are still valid at their 10 year anniversary.

Richard Burts Fri, 02/27/2009 - 04:34

Paul

My anniversary would be April.

Yes that is a different and interesting question looking for how many are still active and valid. I do not have a good way to come up with a figure for that.

HTH

Rick

dconstantino Mon, 03/16/2009 - 04:09

My question is do you think the CCIE still holds the same power and prestige that it did 10 yrs or even 5 yrs ago. THe cost is grest and the a lot of companies sre not covering it these days.

By the way I am sitting the Voice this year. Hope the investment I am making in it.

paul.matthews Mon, 03/16/2009 - 05:55

I am not sure it has quite the same weight it once did, but it does still command quite a degree of respect.

Whe you say "a lot of the companies are not covering it" do you mean a lot of employers are not as ready to fund employees pursuing it?

I think there are potentially a couple of reasons for that. There are more of us around, so the demand is not as strong as it once was. I think that companies are seeing less direct value - unless a company can actually charge a CCIE out to customers, they can be seen as an expensive resource.

Companies also struggle with the idea that there are no guarantees in the CCIE game - all the enthusiasm, dedication and funding in the world cannot guarantee a pass.

I know my employers are currently funding a number of candidates - I was on the selection panel.

ccannon88567 Mon, 03/16/2009 - 08:37

I would put my money on the candidate that is self-funding standing a greater chance of passing :)

Actions

This Discussion