Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7206 NPEG1 - Traffic Handling Capacity

krishna.vv
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

Can you please guide me what shall be the tolerant traffic that can be handled by a Cisco 7206 router with NPE G1.

Is the traffic handled by the router & its CPU Utilization related.

Thanks.

Kris

4 Replies 4

Attached document might help

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Kris,

a C7206 with NPE-G1 is still a software based router even if equipped with a powerful cpu.

I did lab tests 3 years ago and even if the engine has 3 GE ports on board you cannot expect to use them full rate.

You can assume to be able to use two GE ports with 500 Mbps bidirectional traffic between them.

Some collegues have reported lower performances when using WAN Port Adapters like POS STM-1 and ATM 155 Mbps.

Be aware that if you plan to use QoS like CBWFQ performances are still reduced.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Can you please guide me what shall be the tolerant traffic that can be handled by a Cisco 7206 router with NPE G1. "

From Naveen's and Narayan's references, the G1 is rated at about 1 Mpps. As Narayan's reference shows, this translates to about 520 Mbps for 64 byte packets. (NB: bandwidth generally increases for larger size packets although pps performance often drops.)

Remember bandwidth is often duplex, so divide by 2. Also its often good to try to not exceed 50% capacity. So this should provide suitable performance for a single FastEthernet or OC3 (as noted in Giuseppe's post).

"Is the traffic handled by the router & its CPU Utilization related. "

Yes.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card