Helpful
Replies

ospf redistribution

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi...

I have 3 devices-A,B,C.

A&B are already running ospf.C is to be enabled with ospf.Herein i'am little confused with redistribution being done on A and the configs.

Attached are the existing configs of all 3 devices with important information.

Also,i am not sure..y only 4 routes are tagged in device A and redistributed to ospf.

Device B has a FastEthernet0/0/1 which has to put in ospf along with the respective/correct interface from Dev C.

Would it be ok if i jst put fa1/0/1 on Dev C and fa0/0/1 on dev B to a new ospf area or will i require any further redistribution or filtering.

Please help me get the correct config for deviceC.

Pls reply asap.Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi mate

Paste your config in for the 2 devices.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

You are right, you will need to put fa1/0/1 into the OSPF process on Dev C and Fa0/0/1 on Dev B. This will form an OSPF adjacency will will start to pass routing updates.

As you already have a static route on Dev A and B for 10.96.0.0 /16, you don't have to add that network to OSPF on Dev C ( unless you want to, then you can remove the static routes).

Also, on Dev A, A better/tidier way of advertising default is with the default-information originate instead of the command :-

network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 area 0 statement

thanks for replyin..so jst gettin ospf enabled on C like:

router ospf 58

network 10.96.0.2 area 100

& network 10.96.0.1 area 100(on B)

would suffice here..no need to worry abt anything further to be redistributed/filtered on C?

also, dev B has this route ip route 10.16.0.0 255.255.0.0 10.16.1.30, den why is dev A again redistributing it in ospf with tag.

ip route 10.16.0.0 255.255.0.0 10.16.1.58 tag 43

wouldnt it cause confusion as to which route is better?

I not sure why you have so many area's unless you plan to summarize.

Dev B

router ospf 58

network 10.96.0.0 0.0.0.3 area 100

Dev C config

router ospf 58

network 10.96.0.0 0.0.0.3 area 100

( and if you want network 10.96.40.9 )

network 10.96.40.0 0.0.0.255 area 100

(I have chosen a 0.0.0.255 as I don't know your subnet mask for the network)

I cannot tell you if filtering and redistribution is needed as you have not said what you need to happen, ie You don't want network x to make it to router x or I need to make sure network x does get to router x.

If looks like you have multiple exit points for 10.16.0.0 /16, so you need to decide which you want to use as primary and adjust accordingly, as of now it's a closest wins situation.

The static routes will beat the OSPF learned routes as the prefix is the same but the AD's will be different ( static is 1 OSPF is 110).

Thanks for your reply.what if we need to have the Dev C also come under backbone area 0.How will be the config for this case.Since Dev C at present doesnt have anyother link coming to it except the one directly from Router B.Router B is hooked to Dev A.Pls suggest?

Your right, I got so caught up with why you need multi areas I forgot about Area 0. You will need to virtaul Link from Dev C into Dev A for this to work, or if you do not need multiple areas, (which in a network your size you dont), then I would collapse all the routers into area 0.

Let me know if you need help setting it up, here is a link for you to read

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801ec9ee.shtml')">http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801ec9ee.shtml

because from what i understand, in future if any additional segment is connected to Dev C..it must be fused together n accessible.currently its only link is via B.Pls do help in setting this up, if u can.

Could it have any issues on operation of Dev A due to any route looping or other probs if we are pull dev C also to backbone area.

also..would it mean that all 3 routers would only run area 0.

thanks in advance!

I would recommend putting all the routers in area 0 as virtual links will bring more complexity than you need with a 3 router setup.

If you do want/have to use virtual links I will happily give you an example config using your setup.

that would be really helpful...

there are some other devices which are currently not running ospf but are connected via provider links to the Dev A,which i guess would be later on made to run ospf.

Hi

I will need to put this into a lab so I will need your complete configs (minus sensitive IP's and passwords), or I can build a similar network with bogus IP's, which would you prefer.

no worries...you can use the same ones as mine..jst want this config seen.Will b waiting for your reply..

also am i correct if i say that this should need a virtual link?

Thanks buddy..

Hi

I must be suffering from a lack of sleep, we don't need a virtual link at all as area 0 already extends to Dev B all we need to do is put the interface that connects Dev_B to Dev C into area 0 and bam, all done

Dev B

router ospf 58

network 10.96.0.0 0.0.0.3 area 0

Dev C config

router ospf 58

network 10.96.0.0 0.0.0.3 area 0

( and if you want network 10.96.40.9 )

network 10.96.40.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

(I have chosen a 0.0.0.255 as I don't know your subnet mask for the network)

Also, check you have the interface that connects Dev A - B in area 0 as well.

Sorry to mess you around :-s

Just in case you are intrested, here is a nice link to a simple Virtual Link config example

hxxp://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801ec9ee.shtml

Hi..thanks for this help!

got a bit more stuff, i am having reachability issues with one of the devices from device B.

Refer the attached file(Dev C_1) which has been added with required info.

Looking fwd to ur help!

thanks!!!

Hi mate

Paste your config in for the 2 devices.

hey thanks!it was a gateway config probs..its solved..

thanks for your help with both cases!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card