cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 Internet Access Policy

Volmolen38
Level 1
Level 1

Im using a RVS4000 SOHO 4 port Giga_ethernet router.

I'm trying to set the firewall to work with different policies. But this seems impossible.

There are normally 10 policies available.

What I try to do is give two PCs different access to teh web at different day's and times.

When doing so the settings page accept everything but the router only uses the last policy from the list.

What I do is make two policies.

One for the week day's from 08.00 to 22.00 and one for the week-end from 12.00 till 23.55.

I enter the MAC addresses of both PC's so that onlythey get affected.

This is not woring at all. Has somebody an idea?

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

To create an Internet Access policy:

Select the desired policy number from the

1. Internet Access Policy drop-down menu.

2. Enter a Policy Name in the field provided.

3. To enable this policy, set the Status option to Enable.

4. Click,Edit List of PCs to select which PCs will be affected by the policy. The List of PCs popup will appear. You can select a PC by MAC Address or IP Address. You can also enter a range of IP Addresses if you want this policy to affect a group of PCs. After making your changes, click Save Settings to apply your changes.

5. Click the appropriate option, Deny or Allow, depending on whether you want to block or allow Internet access for the PCs you listed on the List of PCs popup.

6.Decide which Days and what Times you want this policy to be enforced. Select the individual days during which the policy will be in effect, or select Everyday. Enter a range of hours and minutes during which the policy will be in effect, or select 24 Hours.

7. If you wish to block access to Web sites, use the Website Blocking by URL Address or Website Blocking by Keyword feature.

Website Blocking by URL Address. Enter the URL or Domain Name of the web sites you wish to block.

Website Blocking by Keyword. Enter the keywords you wish to block in the fields provided. If any of these Keywords appears in the URL of a web site, access to the site will be blocked. Note that only the URL is checked, not the content of each Web page.

Click Save Settings to save the policy settings you have entered. Click Cancel Changes to cancel any changes you have entered.

Hallo,

Thanks for the comments, but what you describe is the obvious ans what I already did and do.

The issue is that there can be 10 policies set but only one of the policies is working.

Example:

Policy one is set for PC-one and PC-two from Sunday till Thursday from 07.00 AM till 22.30 PM.

Policy two is set for the same two PCs but now allos them from Friday till Sunday from 11.00 Am till 23.30 PM.

Only one of the policies is taken into account by the RVS, not both.

May question was how to make use of the 10 available policies.

I had a router of different brand before and ther I could set different policies for different PC's with different settings and they all worked.

Kind regards,

Marc

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card