cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trouble with cisco cb21ag wifi card in windows xp

jeffreybond
Level 1
Level 1

i have a problem with the windows zero configuration thinking that the cisco driver does not support the wzc. when this happens, i can never see any access points. the wzc never even attempts to scan for access points. once windows is in this mode, i have to fix this problem the only way i know how. the only solution is to uninstall the cisco driver and reinstall the driver. once this process is complete, i can see the access points in the area. i am using an older driver v2.2.x the latest is v4.4.

I have installed the driver only for the card. i dont have aironet tools installed.

does anyone know what could make the wzc think that a driver does not support the wzc interface?

13 Replies 13

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

So you're trying to use WZC instead of the Cisco ADU that comes with the card? Do you have the ADU installed anyway?

It's possible that the ADU is taking control away from Windows. Does WZC says "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection"?

the adu is not installed. when i got the installation package for the card i selected driver only installation. so the adu should not be installed.

interestingly enough the expected "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection" text does NOT appear. but i do know that if i click on the properties of the wireless connection, the "wireless networks" tab does not appear. instead i see an authentication tab. from what ive read about the wzc that this indicates that the wzc does not think that the driver does not support the wzc interface.

simply uninstalling and re-installing the same driver resolves this problem.

thanks,

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't have much experience with client issues. If you have SmartNet on the card, I'd open a Cisco TAC case.

how do you open a cisco TAC case?

What is the software version you are using?

we are using 2.2 of the cb21ag driver. just a reminder, we only have the driver installed, not the utilities.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you tried other PCMCIA cards?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Is there a reason you are using th eold driver? Even if you just install the driver, you should be able to use WZC to manage the cb21ag. To determine if the card is working properly, when you connect the card to your laptop, you should see the two lights blink back and fourth, if not, then your card is bad. I know, because I had that same issue. If you don't have a CCO account to download new firmwar, just do a search on the internet and you will find a site where you can download firmware.

http://www.grok.lsu.edu/Article.aspx?articleId=5299

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

yes the card is good. i have several cb21ag wifi cards. i have tested many cards when this situation occurs. the only thing that gets me seeing the access points again in the WZC is to uninstall the driver and then reinstall the same driver.

the reason why we are using the older driver is that we are shipping our product which runs xp with this driver. we have to realease a new image to the field with the new driver. this requires us to expend alot of man-hours in testing. i already have downloaded v4.4.x. so i guess the right thing to do is to bite the bullet and go to v4.4. i just would like to know for sure that v4.4 will solve my problem.

thanks,

jeff

yes. the symbol la4137 and a summit wifi cards do not seem to have the issue.

Try the cb21ag card in another laptop.... could be faulty.

-Scott

yes i will do this.

do you know if cisco has tech support that i can call for wifi cards?

If can try to call them and open a case, but if you don't have SmartNet, it might be an issue.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_worldwide_contacts.html

800-553-2447

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card