cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS licensing on 2801

maldavis3697
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 2801 routers that need to run BGP. Unfortunately my boss bought them with the advanced security version of IOS on them and not the advanced IP services I need to be able to run BGP. I was able to download the advances IP services version of the code for my routers but am nervous about loading it on to the router until I find out if it will work. Do I have to purchase new licenses for the routers to switch from advanced security to advance IP services IOS?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

Technically, you don't need license to run Adv IP image as long as memory/flash size meet the minimum requirement for this image.

But from sale side, I don't know if you need do anything. Please check with your local cisco partner for this.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

Technically, you don't need license to run Adv IP image as long as memory/flash size meet the minimum requirement for this image.

But from sale side, I don't know if you need do anything. Please check with your local cisco partner for this.

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

Please check with your local reseller, and get something in writing. I don't want the City of Redmond to get sued for this.

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

You will need to purchase a license/IOS to legally upgrade your feature set on your router. You can usually buy them through your with your local reseller.

HTH,

Mark

I understand...we will be contacting them to make sure the licensing is correct before these go into production. Thanks for the help.

You are welcome. Please remember to rate any posts that were helpful.

Malinda

While it was traditionally true that running BGP required the Advanced Services feature set, this has changed in recent versions of IOS. I am running a version of 12.4T Advanced Security feature set which has support for BGP.

While changing from the Advanced Services to the Advanced Security would seem to require a change of license, changing from your current version of Advanced Security to a more current version of Advanced Security does not require a license change. And it might get you support for BGP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks, I'll check that out. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card