cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CM upgrade from 4.2.3 (sr1) to CM 6.1(2)

elvinliang
Level 1
Level 1

Hellp, everyone, one of my customer has CM running at 4.2.3(sr1), they want to upgrade to CM6.1(2), I checked the upgrade guide, the upgrade can be done directly using the DMA, and their current mcs server is 7815-I2-IPC1,which may need CPU and memeory upgrade. I need to come up the proposal for this upgrade. other than the hardware upgrde, is there anything I need to consider? thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are many post regarding upgrading CUCM to the newer version. I would consider also:

- purchase new drives. You can pull out the old drives with 4.x and have a roll back plan in place if the upgrade fails.

- VG224s do not upgrade well from 4.x to 6.x. Remove from 4.x, then run the DMA, then rebuild the VGs in CUCM 6.x.

- DMA takes time, factor in quite a bit of labor to make the upgrade work, phone reboots, and an outage if you have a single server.

Hi, Tommer,thanks for the tips, do you have an estimated hours for DMA? they have 2 CMs thanks

Depends on how many devices/processor/memory, etc. for the DMA itself. Once the DMA is done, then you have to install the Publisher, which could be about 2+ hours, get it up online, checked out, etc. Once you verify it does work, licenses loaded you can drop the 4.x subscriber and all the phones will roll to the new Publisher.

Hi, Tommer,thanks for the tips, do you have an estimated hours for DMA? they have 2 CMs thanks

Hi, Tommer, I just want to ask the details of the first step,since I have never done that before, correct me if I am wrong about the steps: a) RUN DMA, b) remove the old drive c) install on CM6.2 on the new dirve. and also

I have a question regarding the harddirves, do you know based on your experience, since the 7815 is out of sale, how do I order the hardware parts? from vendor directly? thank you

If the 7815 is end of sale, and the customer is paying for the upgrade, it's almost worth it to buy a new server. If not, then you can still buy replacement drives for the server from HP or anyone.

There is some prep work to be done to ensure that the 4.2 is running correctly, database is clean, etc. my outline is very basic.

check out the link

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_1_3/upgrd613.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: