Views
Helpful
Replies

re: integration

pacsniffing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone;

Trying to get some feedback if this is possible, here is my scenario ; we have a small remote office with 3 switches in separate buildings. The buildings are connected via fiber and all was working well until one of the switches got damaged. The initial configuration consisted of only 2950 connected with Cisco 1000 Base-SX GBICs as the distance between the buildings is very short. One of the switches got damaged and I am in the process of ordering a new device however our needs have also increased and I would like to order at least 1 3560G with gig ports for the main switch. However as this device uses SFP ports with LC connectors and the other switches use SC connectors will it cause a problem even if the GBICs are in the same range? My proposed network would look like this, from Switch A which has 1000BASE-SX to Switch B which will have GCL-SX-MM= and will in turn uplink to Switch C which still has 1000BASE-SX module.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

b.julin
Level 3
Level 3

We link SFP to GBIC all the time here. Works fine. Sometimes you have to play with the keepalive settings (make them match on both ends) but that's not really because of the SFP rather because of differences between the chassis software branches.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

You should be just fine.

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

Connector type won't impact this. For fiber optical, you just need to make sure to use same media type on both sides, such SX to SX, LX to LX , and so on.

b.julin
Level 3
Level 3

We link SFP to GBIC all the time here. Works fine. Sometimes you have to play with the keepalive settings (make them match on both ends) but that's not really because of the SFP rather because of differences between the chassis software branches.

thanks for the feedback everyone it is much appreciated. by the way does anyone know if there is any documentation on the implementation of this or is it just plug and play

It's pretty much plug and play. If you don't get link, try swapping the tx and rx ends.

Please remember to rate any suggestions that were helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card