cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth

oneirishpollack
Level 1
Level 1

Scenario: I have a 3560 switch. 48- 100Mb ports and 4 - 1Gb ports.

Can the 4 - 1 Gb ports combined really handle 4 Gbps of total throughput or provide 4-Gbs of bandwidth?

How about the 100 Mb ports? 48X100 = 4.8 Gbps, is this really possible?

What are the real world numbers and expectations for devices based on their port ratings?

4 Replies 4

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

I believe you are talking about etherchannel (802.3ad).

You can only bundle 8 ports together at once (not 48, that would be cool).

You do this using the channel-group as an interface level command :-

switch(config)#interface range gigabitethernet 0/1 - 4

switch(config-if-range)#channel-group 1 mode on

In this example I have selected 4 interfaces and put them into channel-group1 which will create a Port-channel interface where all future config is applied. I will now have a 4 gig Port-channel that will share the load using an algorithm (which is configurable on on per device level) see the link below :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml')">http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml

Etherchannels can be layer 2 or layer 3 and not only 'increase' bandwidth they also provide redundancy.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The attached document will provide performance specifications for many of Cisco's switches, including the 3560 model you're asking about.

Sam Smiley
Level 3
Level 3

What Adam said is correct about Ethercahennel, however don't be confused about the bandwidth. With Etherchannel it doesn't work like you have a single 4 Gb link. While it is true that you have a total of 4 Gb you actually have 4 1 Gb links. Basically if you try to transfer something through the EtherChannel from a single host you will see a mazimum transfer rate of 1 Gb, not 4Gb. Etherchannel does provide redundancey and increased available bandwidth.

Regards,

Sam

Chad Peterson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When we send packets out an etherchannel on a switch, we do not load balance on a per packet basis. We will run a hash to determine which link that packet will go out of.

You can check the algorithm used by running:

'show etherchannel load-balance'

If you find that 1 link gets utilized more than others you can change this via:

'port-channel load-balance ?'

You can then configure a different method to load-balance.

And to your first question...8 ports max in a channel group.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card