cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing

da3angwenyi
Level 1
Level 1

a quick help, what config must i add to my 1700series router. i want to be able to ping my lan interface from remote router, the wan interface is reachable from the remote, am a novice, tho familiar with cisco commands

5 Replies 5

connect2world
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure you have default gateway configure. I think is probable already setup since you said you can ping from remote. When you try to ping the LAN interface from, need to specify the source you are ping from.ie the LAN ip of the router:

Eg.

Remote_Router#ping

Protocol [ip]:

Target IP address:10.224.1.1

Repeat count [5]:

Datagram size [100]:

Timeout in seconds [2]:

Extended commands [n]: y

Source address or interface:10.231.7.1

Type of service [0]:

Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:

Validate reply data? [no]:

Data pattern [0xABCD]:

Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]:

Sweep range of sizes [n]:

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.224.1.1, timeout is 2 seconds:

Packet sent with a source address of 10.231.7.1

!!!!!

Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 576/581/588 ms

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

I'm assuming this is a private WAN and the internet is not involved.

If that is the case, then it will most likely be a case of ACL's denying the ICMP packets (which you can check by either looking at the ACL in the config, or if you are not comfortable with that, add a deny any to the end with a log and if you have logging buffered enabled you will see a syslog message telling you it has been denied when you do show log). Or it's as simple as you have forgotten to put a default route pointing back out of the WAN interface, if you don't use default then you will need an entry for the network that sourced the ICMP back out of the WAN.

shiva_ial
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

step 1: enter the config mode of the router you want to make reachable from remote router.

cisco>enable (to enter enable mode)

cisco#config t (to enter config mode)

step 2: enter the ethernet interface

cisco#int eth XXX

step 3: assign ip address to the ethernet interface in interface mode

with command ip addresss x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

now enable static routing on router to make the subnet assigned reachable when you ping from remote router.

ip route x.x.x.x. x.x.x.x next hop

rgds/shiva

rate if it helps

da3angwenyi
Level 1
Level 1

The network is a private WAN there is a default static route to the gateway in my case the satellite modem.

Fastethernet port connected to modem 172.32.1.5 the ethernet port connects to my LAN 172.31.1.5. from remote am reaching the wan port...there is no ACLs in my router, i think its a route i need to add but cannt figure it out..thank for the coming ideas

In that case, as the ICMP is directed at the LAN interface you will be able to run a debug ip packet against an ACL.

Create an ACL matching the protocol icmp and the source and dst then do debug ip packet detail then the ACL number. This will show you the packet entering the router, if you dont see anything, it didn't make it and the issue is downstream.

Forgot to mention if you are connected via vty, then you will need to do :-

term mon

to view the output of the debug

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card