cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovering specific vlan on a trunk from Spantree blocking

ccie16351
Level 1
Level 1

I have a situation, where an Edge Switch is connected to the campus network by a single trunk port to the distribution switch. The issue is, the trunk for some reason is blocking this particular vlan, while the other vlans are in functional (forwarding state).

I wonder if there is a way to recover the blocked vlan back to the forwarding state without impacting the other vlans on the trunk.

Appreciate your expertise.

Thanks

Sami

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah, I did not think of this one;-)

This is a mismatch in the native vlan configuration of the trunk.

Check both ends of your trunk. It should have the same vlan specified in:

switchport trunk native vlan X

(if the command is not appearing, the default native vlan is 1).

Regards,

Francois

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sami

You need to work out why this vlan is blocked. Is the connection an etherchannel or it is a single port ?

Is this the only connection the edge switch has to another switch.

if you do "sh spanning-tree vlan xx" for the vlan that is blocked what is it's root bridge ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

the connection for that edge switch to the campus is a single port in trunk mode, all other ports are access ports connected to servers.

Yes, this connection is the only uplink for this switch.

The output for sh spanning-tree for the 3 vlans this trunk is carrying show that the root bridge for all these vlans is the Core Switch of the Data Center.

Thanks

Hi Sami,

STP blocks only redundant connection to the root bridge. If STP blocks this port on this vlan, it means that it has detected at least two ports leading to root bridge on this vlan. In the show spanning-tree vlan x that you have collected, check where the root port is. This is your redundant connection.

If you don't see this, please post the result of "show spanning-tree vlan X detail" for this particular vlan.

Thanks and regards,

Francois

Thanks Francios,

what you said is quite interesting, I can't imagine how any of the other ports could become the root ports, since the switch I am talking about is a Blade Switch serving only servers.

I am off-work today but I will go to the office just to post the output for the show spanning-tree vlan x.

Sami

Maybe you have a server doing bridging instead of nic teaming;-)

Other possibility could be a specific STP feature kicking in... but with the information you have already provided, I don't see any (except maybe loopguard or the dispute mechanism, that could highlight a problem on the upstream switch). The show command will definitely help understanding.

Thanks and regards,

Francois

Hi Francois,

here is the output I have taken when the problem did occured and before the remedy I have taken to keep the business going.

CAB2-BC1-E1#sh spanning-tree vlan 3

VLAN0003

Spanning tree enabled protocol rstp

Root ID Priority 32771

Address 0016.9d3d.3900

This bridge is the root

Hello Time 2 sec Max Age 20 sec Forward Delay 15 sec

Bridge ID Priority 32771 (priority 32768 sys-id-ext 3)

Address 0016.9d3d.3900

Hello Time 2 sec Max Age 20 sec Forward Delay 15 sec

Aging Time 300

Interface Role Sts Cost Prio.Nbr Type

---------------- ---- --- --------- -------- --------------------------------

Gi0/5 Desg FWD 4 128.5 P2p

Gi0/8 Desg FWD 4 128.8 P2p

Gi0/9 Desg FWD 4 128.9 P2p

Gi0/17 Desg BKN*4 128.17 P2p *PVID_Inc

CAB2-BC1-E1#

Ah, I did not think of this one;-)

This is a mismatch in the native vlan configuration of the trunk.

Check both ends of your trunk. It should have the same vlan specified in:

switchport trunk native vlan X

(if the command is not appearing, the default native vlan is 1).

Regards,

Francois

Hi Francois & Jon and every one out there,

the native vlan at both ends of the trunk is the default vlan 1.

Does any one out there noticed some thing abnormal in the the output of show spanning-tree vlan 3.

Thanks

Sami

Hi again Sami,

Yes, having port g0/17 in broken state due to PVID inconsistency is not normal. Is gi0/17 the port you were concerned about? I guess so because it's the only one blocking there.

Is it directly connected to a Cisco switch?

Regards,

Francois

Thanks Francois,

I found mismatch in native vlan at both ends of the trunk, fixed it and problem is resolved.

Appreciate your help. I will rate your post, right away.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card