cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating command IP on switch

waldronks
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have to console into one of my switches that uses a private 172.x.x.x address and want to give it a command IP address in order to SSH into it. I'm not sure what the commands would be to do this....any help would be greatly appreciated!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Kristy

To access a switch remotely you need a L3 vlan interface that is up/up with an IP address. Assuming vlan 1 interface on your switch

int vlan 1

ip address 192.168.5.10 255.255.255.0

ip default-gateway 192.168.5.1

where 192.168.5.1 is the L3 routed interface for vlan 1.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Kristy

To access a switch remotely you need a L3 vlan interface that is up/up with an IP address. Assuming vlan 1 interface on your switch

int vlan 1

ip address 192.168.5.10 255.255.255.0

ip default-gateway 192.168.5.1

where 192.168.5.1 is the L3 routed interface for vlan 1.

Jon

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I'm sorry I'm not able to understand what your requirement is. Do you wish to enable SSH in place of telnet OR trying to access teh switch through console?

I know how to enable SSH or telnet, what I want to know is how to set up the command IP address on the switch so that I no longer have to console into the switch to get into it.

I believe Jon answered my question....thanks Jon!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... it's called Management IP Address. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: