cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable HDLC

grungerokker13
Level 1
Level 1

We have a cisco router in another location that has both ARPA and HDLC entries. We don't use HDLC and we don't need it at all. How do I get rid of these sessions and disable them from reoccurring.

They are only coming in on serial0/0 in the interface, there is nothing to do with HDLC anywhere. I went into that interface and used the "no encapsulation HDLC" command. This didn't solve the problem.

I would like to avoid blocking specific IPs/MACs. Is there a way to completely disable HDLC on the router itself.

Any Help is appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ross,

HDLC is a point-to-point serial encapsulation that can be used on a serial interface. Actually Cisco implements a proprietary version that includes a protocol field.

What is unclear is where you see mixed ARPA entries and HDLC entries

and you speak of IP/MACs.

You probably have some form of bridging over the WAN serial interface I don't see other reason to learn MAC addresses on a serial interface.

So probably if this is not needed anymore you need to remove commands like

bridge-group 1

under the serial interface configuration

But be careful if bridging over serial was configured was needed in the past.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Sorry I left that part out. I found those entries in with the show arp command.

Hello Ross,

so you mean that in a sh arp you see entries with encapsulation HDLC ?

I've never seen this

May I ask you to post a filtered version of the configuration of your router ?

What plaform ? IOS version ?

I may be missing something but you can get better help if you provide us more details

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Also I don't believe "no encapsulation hdlc" is the exact command you want to be using here; it's best to specifically enable a different form of serial encaps (be it frame, PPP, or whichever).

Cisco's proprietary HDLC is the default encapsulation type for their serial interfaces, so if you use a "no encapsulation {anything}" command, the interface will default back to HDLC encapsulation, no matter which encaps type you were trying to disable.

michael3046
Level 1
Level 1

Is this interface doing IP or Packet over SONET? This could be the reason for having HDLC entries in your ARP cache.

http://www.tkn.tu-berlin.de/curricula/ss02/vl-bbn/Folien/SS2002-IP_over_SONET-4up.pdf

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card