cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with 802.11n Transfer speeds

runningboy01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1252 that has joined our WLC 4402. I have checked the controller config and everythign looks good. I have WMM policy to allow, WPA2+AES,the radio shows that the channels are bonded, the channel width is set to 40MHz.

I have a laptop that has a dell wireless card in it. I have this card disabled as it doesn't support N. I have purchased and am using a Linksys WUSB600N wireless adapter. This is a dual band adapter. I am able to connect to the SSID and my connection speed shows from 243-300Mbps. The probem is that when I try to transfer files, I am only getting approx. 10Mbps transfer speeds. I know the client is connected as I can see it in the WLC and it shows me connected in the 5Ghz range.

I am trying to figure out why my transfer speeds are so slow. I've tried transfering files OnNet and have tried UDP and FTP tests. Everything maxes out around 10Mpbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

14 Replies 14

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

Have you checked for packet retries? What version of code on the controller? Run 4.2.130.6 or 4.2.176. Both of these have some bug fixes around 1252s. Finally, not making a joke here, are you testing on the internal network and not an internet connection? Use iperf or chariot to test throughputs.

WLC is running 5.2.178.0. I am testing internal. AP is plugged into a Gig switch and I'm using the power brick for it. I tried iperf, with similar results. Will try chariot.

I ran some more tests with iperf and also some reports generated by the WCS on 802.11n Throughput. I am getting no more than approx 10Meg at most.

What is your signal strength to the AP?

Are you connected to the N radio when doing the transfer?

Full signal strength, it is sitting on the desk behinde me (I can reach out and touch it from my desk).

Yes, I'm connected to the N radio. WLC shows under Monitor>Clients the protocol is 802.11n(5).

And I take it that you're the only client that's on the AP?

Correct, I'm the only client. Basicially I'm testing the N protocol. We have an A/B/G network already. I have this 1252 assigned to a seperate SSID that is only being brodcasted on it and no other APs. The AP also has only the one SSID on it.

Also, just to clarify, I have the 1252 plugged into a non PoE Gig switch. The AP does have the power injector hooked up.

What channel is the AP on and what chipset is the new card laptop card based on?

The AP is on the following channels:

802.11a/n (36,40)

802.11b/g/n (1)

This is the device I'm using if it helps with the chipset question:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WUSB600N

Since the adapter is showing the correct transmit speed (200+ Mbps), is it possible that the USB port you've got it connected to is only a USB v 1 port (limited to 11Mbps)?

It is USB2.0

Do you have another laptop/desktop that you can test the USB adapter in?

Do you have another 802.11n capable device? Most Macs (desktop and laptop) have had n support for a couple of years.

I've tested the USB adapter in another laptop with the same results. I do not however, have any other 802.11n capable devices. I'm going to be replacing the USB device with an internal card I found that is compatible with my laptop. Hopefully I'll get some better results. Most reviews I've read have stated that non-internal cards such as USB/PCMCIA cards tend to produce less than par results.

My testing has also been less than impressive with 1252 APs and Linksys wireless N adapters. Most of my testing was with the WEC600N which is the express card N adapter. The dell (broadcom) and Intel 4965 N adapters did give me about double the performance over the Cisco abg network adapters. I was getting at least 18 mb/sec throughput with the Intel or Broadcom adapters. The range also seemed to be very good with both Intel and Broadcom. This has been a problem for me since I can't find a good desktop N adapter. As far as the Linksys goes, the performance was about the same as the Cisco abg.

Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: