AP Site Location

Unanswered Question
Feb 27th, 2009

I need to provide wireless access to a U-shaped building and was considering locating an Aironet 1252 in the middle of the base of the 'U' in the structure's crawl space (i.e., it will be under the floor). The walls of the building are lath and plaster construction; and the floors are wood in 3/4 of the structure and terracotta tiles in the remainder. Will this work with: the dipole antennas? the omnidirectional antennas? at all? Or is there some other (much better) way of providing access to this building?

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks,

Paul

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Fri, 02/27/2009 - 16:44

Before we go any further, have you considered doing a Wireless Site Survey? This will enable you to optimize the deployment of your AP's: not too many, not too less and in the right location.

Consider the following too:

1. You wanted the 1252. Will you be using both Radio Modules (RM)? If you are, you need a switch that will be capable of providing 19.0 watts of power (3560-E/3750-E) or get a power injector.

2. If you can't do either both and you haven't received the 1252, have you considered the 1140 AP? Like the 1252, it will do A/B/G and Draft N 2.0.

3. Unlike the 1252, 1140 AP can operate using standard PoE (15.4 watts) or a power injector.

4. 1252 is designed to be optimally deployed in large open spaces: warehouse, factory, entertainment areas. 1140 is designed for office space environment: walls, corners, partitions, dividers, compactors.

Talk to your authorized Cisco dealer for more information.

paul_erion Fri, 02/27/2009 - 18:19

No, I hadn't considered one -- you can't consider what you don't know about :-) I'm just trying to figure this out myself (and with the help of those who respond to my minimally informed questions). I was looking at the 1252 because it appeared to be more powerful than some others, and I was hoping that I could get by with one AP ... but that might have been useful thinking on my part.

Thanks,

Paul

Leo Laohoo Sat, 02/28/2009 - 03:48

Glad to be of assistance. Again, I encourage you to look into having a Wirelss Site Survey before actual installation of AP's.

You have no idea how many people don't know about the existence of the 1140. I learned of this model before Cisco updated the website. Yet this model is not being openly promoted as hard as the 1250.

I also forgot to mention that the 1140 is significantly affordable as compared to the 1250, for obvious of reasons.

Scott Fella Sun, 03/01/2009 - 08:16

Like the other poster mentioned, you will never know unless you either have a site survey done or you go for it. A "U" shaped building and placing an AP in the middle of the "U" in a crawl spcae might just give you coverage in that "U" area but not after the hallway turns. No matter what AP you choose, no signal is no signal. 802.11N AP's might help get a better quality sinal, but you will get the same distance as a 1242. This is something Cisco states and I do believe you can get more coverage, but I have seen where coverage is just the same as a 1242 ap. You are better off placing two ap's where the hallways bend at a 90 degree.

Just my thought.

paul_erion Sun, 03/01/2009 - 23:11

Though a site survey is the most prudent approach, I'm afraid I'm going to just have to go for it. I realize this is a gamble and I may lose; but circumstances are giving me a not so subtle nudge to throw the dice.

I'd like to stay with 802.11n, do you know if either the 1250 or 1140 series will allow me to operate them in a mesh or extender mode (i.e., similar to what it appears is possible with the 1240 or 1130 series)?

And thank you for all your help, it's appreciated.

Paul

Leo Laohoo Wed, 03/04/2009 - 15:16

Q: I'd like to stay with 802.11n, do you know if either the 1250 or 1140 series will allow me to operate them in a mesh or extender mode (i.e., similar to what it appears is possible with the 1240 or 1130 series)?

A: All Cisco AP's can be configured to act as a bridge/repeater. I'm not sure about the mesh mode. I recommend you check the individual data sheet for further clarification. Otherwise, please contact your nearest Cisco authorized reseller. Asking question won't cost you anything if they know that you're about to sign the cheque. :)

paul_erion Sun, 03/01/2009 - 23:14

Thanks for the pointer.

I gave it a try and it doesn't seem to allow for selecting the 802.11n standard ... sigh.

Actions

This Discussion