Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS InlineGroup Duplex/Speed Issues

andrew.andy316
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a WAAS device placed between two routers and two switches. One switch and router group autonegotiates perfectly fine 100mbps full duplex. The other router and switch group however does not. The switch port is gigabit and the router port is fastethernet. Here are the problems:

1. If I set all ports statically to 100mbps fullduplex the router port does not come up and my WAN 0 port which is connected to the router is up. My LAN 0 port that is connected to the switch is down and my switch port is up.

Now the obvious assumption is that I have the router connected to the LAN 0 port and the switch connected to the WAN 0 port. This is not the case however as if all ports are set to auto negotiate the LAN 0 negotiates at 1gbps full and the WAN port is 100 mbps full.

2. If I shutdown the port on the router manually my LAN 0 port goes down and not the WAN 0 port.

Help please.

7 Replies 7

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Andrew,

When you cabled did you use one straight cable and one cross over cable (for fast-ethernet especially important)?

You definitely want to hard set the interfaces, as well as the Inline Group all to 100-Full and not leave any of them to atuo. You don't set the individual interfaces of the inline card, only the whole group on the newer WAAS code.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Although it should have been cabled correctly, it wasn't done by me so that is something I can verify.

I definately want to set the interface speed and duplex however when I do the port on the router does not come up, and the opposite port on the WAAS (not the one to the router...the one to the switch) does not come up either, not sure if this is something that can be caused by having incorrect cables.

Hey Andrew,

Did you find anything out on this?

Dan

Hey Dan,

I am still awaiting a scheduled downtime to check the cables to the WAAS device. (You know how these things go sometimes =()

Thanks much for the follow up though, it is really appreciated.

I will update you as soon as possible.

No worries...just checking in.

Dan

for inline, which cable should be the crossover, and which the straight through?

It doesn't matter. Basically if the inline group is shut, it bridges the wire and acts as a crossover, so it won't matter which cable is straight and which one is crossed. So if you are going from switch to switch, you should use both straight through, if you are going switch to router, then you should have one cable as a crossover.

Also, if you are using GIG-E, then you don't need a crossover, however it's very important if you are using Fast-E. Consult the cabling guide for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/wae/module/inline/installation/guide/17880fru.html#wp39911

Hope that helps,

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: