PPPoE & 800 Series router

Unanswered Question
Feb 27th, 2009

just got an 851 that I was hoping to deploy, but I've run into a snag. I can't seem to get pppoe connectivity setup either through the SDM or CLI - the command pppoe enable does not appear to be a valid command, it generates an error regardless of how it is called. The only command available seems to be pppoe-client

any ideas?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Edison Ortiz Sat, 02/28/2009 - 12:53

Thanks for the rating, Paolo :)

I fully agree, PPPoE is one of those technologies where we, Cisco, do not have much info on.

chavez243 Sat, 02/28/2009 - 18:08

This doc ended up helping the most:

but, still it's not written for the 851, so when it talks about FE 0, you have to substitute FE 4 - which is the WAN interface on the 851.

The doc also talks about an ATM interface which is missing on the 851 (perhaps unless you order it with the built-in DSL module).

I really can't get over how the SDM repeatedly sends utterly bogus commands to the router OS.

In the end I did get a pppoe connection working, mostly with the CLI, but then the SDM botched the firewall setup and i gave up for the time being... put the old router in place since I can't afford too much downtime.

I guess the next step is to dig up some docs on getting the firewall config'd

Paolo Bevilacqua Sun, 03/01/2009 - 03:13

Forget about the SDM. Is there only to put a checkmark on the datasheet. No professional ever uses it.

This Discussion