cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPPoE & 800 Series router

chavez243
Level 1
Level 1

just got an 851 that I was hoping to deploy, but I've run into a snag. I can't seem to get pppoe connectivity setup either through the SDM or CLI - the command pppoe enable does not appear to be a valid command, it generates an error regardless of how it is called. The only command available seems to be pppoe-client

any ideas?

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

pppoe-client is the command you need, please refer to this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies_configuration_example09186a008071a729.shtml

HTH,

__

Edison.

Finally a decent pppoe doc! 5 points to Edison for pulling it up!

Thanks for the rating, Paolo :)

I fully agree, PPPoE is one of those technologies where we, Cisco, do not have much info on.

__

Edison.

This doc ended up helping the most:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies_configuration_example09186a008071a7b0.shtml

but, still it's not written for the 851, so when it talks about FE 0, you have to substitute FE 4 - which is the WAN interface on the 851.

The doc also talks about an ATM interface which is missing on the 851 (perhaps unless you order it with the built-in DSL module).

I really can't get over how the SDM repeatedly sends utterly bogus commands to the router OS.

In the end I did get a pppoe connection working, mostly with the CLI, but then the SDM botched the firewall setup and i gave up for the time being... put the old router in place since I can't afford too much downtime.

I guess the next step is to dig up some docs on getting the firewall config'd

chavez,

Forget about the SDM. Is there only to put a checkmark on the datasheet. No professional ever uses it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card