cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing MSTP Config

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

I am relatively new to MSTP, and before I recommend using it for a network I am looking at, I would like a little clarification.

Within a region, I have seen it documented that the region and version need to match, ot the switches will consider themselves different regions. I am cool with that.

My concern is that documents then go on to add that the vlan to database needs to be consistent. I am OK with the concept, but it looks a little inconvenient in that adding a VLAN at a later date will be disruptive, as there will be periods where the configurations don't match.

It also looks a little awkward in that if a VLAN only needs to go to two switches, all switches in the region need to be reconfigured - am I right?

It looks like the basic idea will have to be pre-provision as much as possible - ie add all 4000ish VLANs to instances, and have maintenance windows where we can move VLANs if we need to - eg if we need to add a few extra VLANs to an instance that is running low on available VLANs.

2 Replies 2

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The development of the New VTPv3 is designed to carry new vlans within the STP instance besides vlan information/advertisment in Normal VTP operation.

I would suggest if you have alook at any relalated document describing VTPv3.

HTH

Mohamed

Thanks for that - looks worth a read. Unfortunately the switches I am working with at the mo don't do VTP :-(

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card