What devices should I buy to prepare for CCIE R&S lab exam?

Answered Question
Feb 28th, 2009

I did find the recommended device list from Cisco's website.

3725 series routers - IOS 12.4 mainline - Advanced Enterprise Services

3825 series routers - IOS 12.4 mainline - Advanced Enterprise Services

Catalyst 3550 series switches running IOS version 12.2 - IP Services

Catalyst 3560 Series switches running IOS version 12.2 - Advanced IP Services

However they are relatively new products and too expensive... Does anybody have a more pratical list that has older and cheaper devices that are good enough for practice and learning??

What phsical interfaces do the devices have to have for CCIE R&S lab exam? I found some routers on Ebay and they have FE, ATM, ISDN, T1 ...etc. Can anybody please tell me what interfaces are necessary for the exam??

Thanks a lot!

Difan

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by jim_berlow about 7 years 10 months ago

Here is my recommendation on this.

First, if you haven't purchased a CCIE lab practice book - find one and purchased it. There are many reputable vendors including internetworkexpert, netmasters.net, IP Expert, etc. These training vendors know how to properly train you to take the exam. Once you have a training book, then see what equipment they require for you to complete their labs (build your lab from their requirements).

If your doing the CCIE, forget about how this exam applies to the real world (because it doesn't). See the practice lab books to see what I mean.

HTH,

Jim

Overall Rating: 4.3 (4 ratings)
dirtipacket Sat, 02/28/2009 - 20:00

I would honestly recommend attempting to use the rent-a-pod route instead of purchasing routers and switches. Also, think of dynamips/dynagen for your routers.

That would be the best and cheapest route IMHO. By doing so, you can see what is truly needed before you purchase equipment. Assuming of course you are using labs from places like internetworkexperts.com and such.

Difan Zhao Sun, 03/01/2009 - 10:19

Thank you for your reply! I found the information about Dynamips and I will try to download it and try it. Thank you for this information!

Do you mean that I can also rent these devices somewhere? To be honest I still want to touch the real one... Where can I rent them?

I was recommended once before about the internetworkexpers.com. However somebody told me that they only focus on the exam but not the real knowledge and skills... People who took the course and passed the exam usually don't reach the real CCIE level of skills. Is that true?

Thanks!

tperrier Mon, 03/02/2009 - 01:12

Whoever said that about Internetwork Expert material was on crack.

Dynamips is fine, but you'll not "touch" the stuff, and it can't emulate switches, only routers.

My own recommandation is to buy your lab on eBay (piecemeal, not premade packages, unless you like to pay more or are in a hurry), then sell it back the same way when you're done. 2600s (preferably 2600XMs) are enough to prepare for the R&S, and quite cheap now. Add 1 or 2 3560s (still expensive) and 3 or 2 3550s (cheaper), and you'll have a very good lab.

Difan Zhao Mon, 03/02/2009 - 08:57

Thanks Tperrier for your information!

So any 2600XM series router is good enough right? That brings my next question:

1. How many routers do I need to buy for complete CCIE labs?

2. What physical interfaces do they need to have and how many these interfaces are needed?

Thanks!

Correct Answer
jim_berlow Mon, 03/02/2009 - 09:47

Here is my recommendation on this.

First, if you haven't purchased a CCIE lab practice book - find one and purchased it. There are many reputable vendors including internetworkexpert, netmasters.net, IP Expert, etc. These training vendors know how to properly train you to take the exam. Once you have a training book, then see what equipment they require for you to complete their labs (build your lab from their requirements).

If your doing the CCIE, forget about how this exam applies to the real world (because it doesn't). See the practice lab books to see what I mean.

HTH,

Jim

Difan Zhao Mon, 03/02/2009 - 13:49

Hi Jim, if I take the training courses, do I still need to buy devices? I am in Calgary, AB, Canada and so if I take the course, I need to do it online. Is the online training as good as coming personally? Thank you for the information about the lab book. I will try to get one asap!

jim_berlow Mon, 03/02/2009 - 14:57

The CCIE Lab is a hands on test, the more practice on equipment you can get the better chance you have at being successful. I would say that getting hands-on practice is the most important part of your test preparation.

I can't comment on the online training as I never used it. That being said, I did use plenty of rack rental time (where I rented access to a pod of routers / switches). This was extremely helpful and well worth the money.

Good luck,

Jim

Actions

This Discussion