Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

richard_krick
Level 1
Level 1

I pickup upa use 7920 off ebay to add to my call manager test lab. I am having issues trying to do to a factory reset. I have tried to access the admin mode but it locks up the phone. I know you can buy the configuration utility cd but i would rather not have to put out that money. I need to know what are the most basic settings i have to use on a 1231 Ap to get the phone to register with call manager

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So that phone has restricted settings access then if Network Profiles isn't listed there. If it had disabled settings access, then wouldn't see User Profiles either. Both of these settings access configs will also prevent from entering the hidden menus as that capability will be disabled.

There is another method to factory default the phone by configuring a phone lock password then entering a password at the prompt when it boots up.

By default this is disabled. This menu will be available with restricted settings access.

You can contact Cisco TAC to assist you with this further and get the unlock password.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7920/5_0/english/user/guide/7920cus.html#wp1009977

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7920/5_0/english/administration/guide/7920cfgu.html#wp1315211

Other than that need to figure out the network profile settings on the phone and get it registered to a CM or at least a TFTP server with the default 7920 cnf.xml file present.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hope this document helps you.

Cisco Unified IP Phone 7921 Implementation for Voice over WLAN

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/vowlan/41dg/vowlan_ch10.html

Thank you is does help me out. I still can not access the phone or network settings in the phone the admin mode is restricted, is there another way to reset the phone to wipe out the settings in it

That URL provided is for the 7921G not the 7920.

Ther are quite a bit of differences in capabilities and in the user interface.

The 7920 has hidden menus and factory default is one of these. To access the hidden menus, press Menu>*##>Send. This will unlock the hidden menus. Then go to Menu>Phone Settings>Factory Default.

This should work assuming that settings access hasn't been disabled.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7920/5_0/english/administration/guide/7920usr.html#wp1059037

it has been, when i try to use the star,pound,pound,send the phone locks up and it restarts, is there a way to enable the admin mode once its been disabled

What firmware is on the phone?

Look under Phone Settings>Phone Status>Firmware Info>Firmware Version.

Are you able to configure the network profiles? By default, the profile is configured with the following params.

SSID = cisco

Authenticaton = open

Then can either statically set the TFTP or get it from option 150 in order to upgrade the phone firmware.

Or if you have the desktop charger or the USB cable then can upgrade the phone via USB.

The latest firmware is 3.02 but need a CCO account to download the firmare.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

when you select network config the only option it gives is site survay and when you select that it says empty and will not let me enter in anything

if you look under current config file there is one there

firmware 7920.4.0-03-02

i do have charger and usb cable

That's not the right menu for configuration. You would want to go to Menu>Profiles>Network Profile to configure the settings to get on the WLAN. Will need to enter the info to match your WLAN. If open, just choose open, if open+wep, choose open then enter the WEP keys, if WPA-PSK, choose AKM then enter the pre-shared key.

Yes that firmware is 3.0(2), which is the latest for the 7920 and must enter the hidden menus to do a factory default.

See the 7920 Admin Guide for more info @ http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7920/5_0/english/administration/guide/4_2.html.

the only option i have under profiles is user.

just to make sure i am doing this correctly, i power on the phone, the splash screen comes up and the it says cisco systems right above the menu it says "authenticaing with AP" now at that point i hit the menu key, then * ## send.

do i have to hold down the menu key, i have tried this a bunch of different ways and either there is no new menu options or the phone freezes and you have to pull the battery.

So that phone has restricted settings access then if Network Profiles isn't listed there. If it had disabled settings access, then wouldn't see User Profiles either. Both of these settings access configs will also prevent from entering the hidden menus as that capability will be disabled.

There is another method to factory default the phone by configuring a phone lock password then entering a password at the prompt when it boots up.

By default this is disabled. This menu will be available with restricted settings access.

You can contact Cisco TAC to assist you with this further and get the unlock password.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7920/5_0/english/user/guide/7920cus.html#wp1009977

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7920/5_0/english/administration/guide/7920cfgu.html#wp1315211

Other than that need to figure out the network profile settings on the phone and get it registered to a CM or at least a TFTP server with the default 7920 cnf.xml file present.

i maked this topic as resoved but i wanted to let you know whats going on.

I did a little reseach with cisco and they sent me over to CDW. i got a smartnet contract thru them for 10.00 which i am waiting for it to go thru. i am hoping that this will give me access to the download section. i think the firmware on the phone is corupted and thats why it locks up when you try to access the admin mode. if it works out i will let youknow thanks for all your help

You're in luck. A knowledgable forum member named "fella5" and works for CDW is a well-known regular.

There are no such issues with the 3.0(2) firmware that I am aware of. Yes, to contact TAC, you need a service contract.

i found a simple way to do a factory reset on the phone when the admin mode has been restricted. I went into the Phone Lock under the Settings tab in the menu, set a password of 12345 and turned it on. I power cycled the phone and when it prompted me for the password i put in:

*7#9#2#0#*

This will do a factory reset on the phone and you will the be able to access the network profile to configure the phone

Richard, please remove your last post as it contains sensitive content.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: