Views
Helpful
Replies

show flash command anf file name

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

When we use show flash, we get the file name among others.

For example my router shows the following name;

"c2500-ds-1.122-1.bin"

I want to know How i can determine different info about the ios such as compression, feature set, etc?

Is there any good link describing how to interpret the file name?

thanks a lot!

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think you will find much information about such an old IOS code.

With recent IOS codes, you can find the information you are looking for by visiting this website: http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well, I take it back.

I was able to find that IOS in the feature navigator.

Feature Set: IP/IPX/AT/DEC Plus

Feature List attached.

The naming convention has changed since the 2500 Series days.

There used to be a document, which I can't find anymore, that illustrated what each letter in the file-name meant.

Current IOS releases will include the 'enterprise' or 'advanced ip services' in the file-name so you don't need to worry about such things anymore.

As for the features offered within those feature sets, it will vary from hardware to hardware so best to check on the website I provided.

I don't see the significance of knowing the compressed form the IOS has.

HTH,

__

Edison.

8 Replies 8

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think you will find much information about such an old IOS code.

With recent IOS codes, you can find the information you are looking for by visiting this website: http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well, I take it back.

I was able to find that IOS in the feature navigator.

Feature Set: IP/IPX/AT/DEC Plus

Feature List attached.

Thanks a lot Edison !

I might not have been very precise . I intended to ask how i could get different info about the ios just by looking at file name in flash. For example my book says in " c2500 xxxxxxx " means the platform is cisco 2500 series, that file in compressed form, that ios has enterprise feature set etc. The book has described only one file in flash. I want to learn if i am given a certain file name in flash, i would be able to determine different info about the ios just by looking at it.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot Edison and Jon !

The naming convention has changed since the 2500 Series days.

There used to be a document, which I can't find anymore, that illustrated what each letter in the file-name meant.

Current IOS releases will include the 'enterprise' or 'advanced ip services' in the file-name so you don't need to worry about such things anymore.

As for the features offered within those feature sets, it will vary from hardware to hardware so best to check on the website I provided.

I don't see the significance of knowing the compressed form the IOS has.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Jon,

Yeah, something like that. However, that link doesn't tell me much about Sarah's 2500 IOS.

On this case, 'ds' is plain DSL+Service Provider while the feature navigator states that is IP/IPX/AT/DEC...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card