Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 console port problem

wan000000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi dear all,

I have a problem with catalyst 2960-24TT-L. When I connected the console port to PC and using hyperterminal, there is no response, even i changed the baud rate and other parameter in hyperterminal.

Could you have suggestion ?

Rgds,

wan

2 Replies 2

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Van,

Make sure you connect to the relevent com port. Moreover, if you have the running config of the switch you can identify what parameters were changed and should match to have a valid serial connectivity.

Thanks and regards,

--Gaurav

gmcdowell
Level 1
Level 1

Are you using the standard Cisco blue cable, or are you using one of those beige (off-white) DB9-RJ45 converters? If the latter, that can be the problem - they are not all pinned the same! The wrong one will give you a blank-screen, no response. In contrast, the wrong baud will often give you funny-character, unintelligible gibberish.

Also, make sure hyperterminal is configured to connect to com1 and that com 1 is set for 9600,8,none,1,none.

p.s. Check out Tera Term Pro - free console/telnet/ssh sw w/ (imho) a much nicer interface than hyperterm.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card