Replies

config-register and boot feild

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

I have few questions

My book says:

config-register 0x2100 tells router to boot into rmmon mode.

config-register 0x2101 tells router to boot into rx boot mode.

Config-register 0x210x where x is 2---f

tells router to load full featured ios.The router reads startup-config looking for boot system command which will in turn guides the router how to load ios.

===========================================

while researching on google, i came across a link that says " config-register 0x2142" instructs the router to load ios and ignore the nvram.

But the book says for any value 2-f in boot field means router checks the startup--config for boot system command to load ios. But the link says 2142 means load the ios and ignores the startup-config.

thanks a lot!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello Sarah,

the config-register 0x2142 is the special value to be used for password recovery.

Also notice that the digits are hex digits so the 4 here is not in the less meaning 4 bits.

So there is no contradiction values among 2-F are meant in the least significant digits (=the last hex digit).

A very important point is the 1 in the second position:

if you put a zero there the router can dump to rommon by simply removing the console cable !

It happened to me recently in a 2620XM that I was prepearing for an installation.

this bit should be the one that inhibits this behaviour not desirable in a production router.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Sarah,

Here's a good link that shows all the config-register values and what they do.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a008022493f.shtml

HTH,

Mark

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Well it looks like there are few exceptions. For example i configured the router as follows

config-register 0x2142

boot system rom

The router boots into Ios without looking at startup-config. How? because if router had looked at startup-config, it wolud have found boot system rom and would have booted into rxbott mode. since it did not boot into rxboot mode, it reinforces the fact that config-register 0x2142 means router will simply boot into ios( full featured) without look at startup-config.

thanks a lot!

Hello Sarah,

the config-register 0x2142 is the special value to be used for password recovery.

Also notice that the digits are hex digits so the 4 here is not in the less meaning 4 bits.

So there is no contradiction values among 2-F are meant in the least significant digits (=the last hex digit).

A very important point is the 1 in the second position:

if you put a zero there the router can dump to rommon by simply removing the console cable !

It happened to me recently in a 2620XM that I was prepearing for an installation.

this bit should be the one that inhibits this behaviour not desirable in a production router.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Sarah,

Here's a good link that shows all the config-register values and what they do.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a008022493f.shtml

HTH,

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card