cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two 861s with Two Internet Connections

webmastadj
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, here is my dilemma. I currently have a DSL line with a 861 router. What I want to do is get a CABLE connection with 5 static IP address and keep the DSL line as well for back-up. The Cable line I will be running my server off of (web hosting and such) the DSL will be used for internet for my local computers / network. I want to still include my computers and server in the same network. So here is what I am thinking.

Is it possible to have two 861s connected via one of their switch ports? Then have one with the DSL line and then the other with the cable line? Then route traffic to the cable line if it is within a certain VLAN and then route traffic to the DSL if it is in a different VLAN?

Seems kind of an around about way to do things. I am just trying to figure out how to do this the cheapest and more feature full way I can. I was currently thinking of load balancing between my DSL and cable using the cable as primary for the server and the DSL as primary for the other.

My other option right now is getting a LInksys dual-wan router. Placing a switch after the cable modem, putting one wire into my Linksys and the other into my 861. But with that, I would have to have separate networks.

7 Replies 7

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

you need to check if you can define two vlans

>> Is it possible to have two 861s connected via one of their switch ports? Then have one with the DSL line and then the other with the cable line? Then route traffic to the cable line if it is within a certain VLAN and then route traffic to the DSL if it is in a different VLAN?

this can be done if you have two internal Vlans 10 and 20 and the router connected to the cable is the default gateway for it

the same happens for vlan 20 where the default gateway is the other router.

You need NaT rules as well.

the point is that every device needs to support three vlans and this depends from image

Hope to help

Giuseppe

That is what I thought it might be possible. The only thing that is missing is load balancing between the two routers. I will be able to subnet say a 192.168.84.0 address into 4 parts? I have done subnetting before, but a little rusty.

Hello,

yes you can perform further subnetting as you like:

192.168.84.0/24

192.168.84.0 255.255.255.192

you move to the right of two bits to accomodate four subnets

192.168.84.0 /26

192.168.84.64 /26

192.168.84.128 /26

192.168.84.192 /26

Hope to help

Giuseppe

how about load balancing?

Hello,

being two different providers you are going to receive two different ip address blocks

I don't think you can do load balancing in your case

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ok, if you were in my situation, which would you do?

Dump DSL and just cable line

Get two Cisco 861s

Get Linksys DUAL-WAN instead of an additional 861

I am trying to figure out which will be the best route. Right now I don't have that many web sites I am hosting so I don't see a huge traffic problem if I put them on one connection (cable). Then alter I might add DSL if it becomes a problem.

webmastadj
Level 1
Level 1

I decided just to switch to Cable and do without the DSL. Thanks for the help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card