Views
Helpful
Replies

Headset for UC500 & 7931G handset

Damian Halloran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was after recommendations for wireless and wired headsets for the 7931G - actual experience would be great.

Also what does a headset need to work with the headset port on the 7931 and 7960.

Thanks

Damian Halloran

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mgendell
Level 1
Level 1

We've sold and currently use the GN Netcom (now Jabra) 9120 (retired) and 9125 (the successor to the 9120) wireless headsets with 7931, 794x and 796x stations. They work very well and have direct-plug compatibility with the headset port on the back of those phones. The wireless range is excellent and we have never had complaints with the sound quality.

We've also sold and used the Jabra/GN Netcom wired headsets for those phones and they also work very well.

Finally, we've also sold the Plantronics H251 wired headsets with the 7931, 7921 and the newer 52x series with no complaints.

Basically, the way the wired headsets work with either manufacturer is that you pick the headset that you want (i.e., mono or stereo, with noise cancelling mic or not, etc.). The headset comes with a fairly short (around 2 feet, maybe) cable built into it that has a quick-disconnect plug at the end. You then buy another cable that has a matching quick-disconnect plug to connect to the headset and the correct plug for the phone you're using it with. You don't need any additional device (e.g., amplifier) when you use the headset port on the phones. You just press the headset button on the phone (just like you would press the "Speaker" button to use the speakerphone).

What we've found is that the "adapter" cable from Plantronics is also pretty short, so the overall length may not be long enough for some. Plantronics makes a 10' coiled "extension" cord, but some find that to be too long. It would be nice if they made a 3' or 5' extension cord, but as far as I know they don't.

The adapter cables from Jabra are a good lengh when connected to the headset. However, we haven't had luck finding the proper extension cable for all of the different Cisco phones (particularly the newer 52x series phones). Despite the fact that the 52x and 7921 phones both have a 2.5mm headset jack, they are NOT the same pinout, so there are two different cords for those phones.

Hope that helps,

Martin Gendell

Apogee Technology Services, Inc.

www.ApogeeServices.com

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear Damian;

I recommend you any Plantronics(R) or Jabra(R) device...there are many models that works ok with the product so my suggestion is that you go and check on jabra.com and plantronics.com for the models...they both have a nice "find your headset" application where Cisco 7931G is listed...

Regards
Alberto

mgendell
Level 1
Level 1

We've sold and currently use the GN Netcom (now Jabra) 9120 (retired) and 9125 (the successor to the 9120) wireless headsets with 7931, 794x and 796x stations. They work very well and have direct-plug compatibility with the headset port on the back of those phones. The wireless range is excellent and we have never had complaints with the sound quality.

We've also sold and used the Jabra/GN Netcom wired headsets for those phones and they also work very well.

Finally, we've also sold the Plantronics H251 wired headsets with the 7931, 7921 and the newer 52x series with no complaints.

Basically, the way the wired headsets work with either manufacturer is that you pick the headset that you want (i.e., mono or stereo, with noise cancelling mic or not, etc.). The headset comes with a fairly short (around 2 feet, maybe) cable built into it that has a quick-disconnect plug at the end. You then buy another cable that has a matching quick-disconnect plug to connect to the headset and the correct plug for the phone you're using it with. You don't need any additional device (e.g., amplifier) when you use the headset port on the phones. You just press the headset button on the phone (just like you would press the "Speaker" button to use the speakerphone).

What we've found is that the "adapter" cable from Plantronics is also pretty short, so the overall length may not be long enough for some. Plantronics makes a 10' coiled "extension" cord, but some find that to be too long. It would be nice if they made a 3' or 5' extension cord, but as far as I know they don't.

The adapter cables from Jabra are a good lengh when connected to the headset. However, we haven't had luck finding the proper extension cable for all of the different Cisco phones (particularly the newer 52x series phones). Despite the fact that the 52x and 7921 phones both have a 2.5mm headset jack, they are NOT the same pinout, so there are two different cords for those phones.

Hope that helps,

Martin Gendell

Apogee Technology Services, Inc.

www.ApogeeServices.com

Damian Halloran
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the excellent advice.

Damian Halloran.

Martin,

Great post. It is very good to see some hard data regarding compatibility, based on actual deployments.

Thanks,

Marcos