Views
Helpful
Replies

Site-to-site VPN Peer(s) with dynamic IP addresses

t_kilany_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 Cisco 877 routers, both with an ethernet (internal) and ADSL (external) interfaces. The IP address given to the ADSL interface is dynamic, negotiated via PPP to a dialer interface, a configuration from a typical ISP.

Both external dynamic IP addresses are known with a fully qualified domain name via dynamic DNS that I set up already.

Now I would like to set up a VPN between these 2 routers to connect the 2 internal networks together: I set up the VPN using their IP addresses
(crypto policy, crypto transform-set, crypto map) and it works like a charm until I reboot the router and the IP address will change. I need to solve
this using the dynamic DNS names instead, but all my attempts to set up the configuration using the dynamic DNS names failed so far ...

Can you please suggest a configuration sample or a document showing how to configure the VPN using the dynamic DNS names as VPN peers?

Thank you in advance!
Best regards.

Tarik

2 Replies 2

Level 6
Level 6

Hi Tarik,

I'm working to get you a response as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience,

Cisco Moderation Team

Hi Tarik,

This configuration note has a lot of good information, including how to use DDNS for Crypto applications.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9652

Hope this helps,

Marcos Hernandez
Technical Marketing Engineer
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: